• Register Today It's free!

Child Car Seat tether anchor

CBII

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Ok it's a sunday on a long weekend and of course all the Ford dealerships are closed.

I searched and couldn't really find my answer so I'll just ask.

I want to install the car seat tether anchor in my 91 explorer but I'm unsure where to drill the hole in the rear cargo area.

Can someone tell me where I'm suppose to install this blaster thing.

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As you probably figured out, there is a dealership kit for this. I have been searching the net for 15 minutes, but found nothing. If you are squeezed for time I would go under the truck with your drill, and look for the sturdiest structure in the general vacinity. Drill up through the floor pan, maybe take the carpet out first or find some way so the drill doesn't tangle it up. That should do for today. Next week, get the details from the dealer and if you need to put it someplace else, just plug your old hole.

For cars, it was common and approved to put those clips in the shelf over the back seat, and there wasn't any special structure there for it. Just make sure to back it with something, like maybe a stack of fender washers.

2 of the anchors should mount to the same points as the seat belts. If you pull up your back carpet, you should be able to find where the body is bolted to the frame directly behind the seat. That area longitudinally across is pretty sturdy, it should be fine to mount there.

my 94 ex has 4 cargo hold down points like metal "c" shaped clips. If I was going to intall an anchor I'd probably unfasten one of those and use that point for the anchor. Or maybe i'm visualizing this the wrong way

2 of the anchors should mount to the same points as the seat belts. If you pull up your back carpet, you should be able to find where the body is bolted to the frame directly behind the seat. That area longitudinally across is pretty sturdy, it should be fine to mount there.

Ya this is the area I was eying up. Looks to be the strongest area without going deep into the cargo area (which would effectively render a good area of the cargo section useless). I also like how this spot is almost vertically straight down behind the seat.

I'm going to double check with the dealership tomorrow to just be sure.

In our car the anchor is mounted in the thin ass rear dash metal so I can't see it being a big deal with the explorer.

I had this kit on my old 94. It wasn't installed though. It had instructions. But I'm no help, can't remember how they installed. Sorry.

Back