Chinook camper top conversion.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
After seeing another members poptop that's all it took. I'm getting parts to convert my pug shuttle into a better Komi bus. Used rotted Komi start at 25 grand. So I'm going the poor mans route.
Today I found Country home campers. Not only they sell the pop top $3,200. But all the replacement parts if you built your own. Canvas is $450.
They sell Vw,Aerostar,town&scoundrel and Toyota van tops.
For those interested there's a pop top in bolder looks good for $1,200 on Craig list

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if that would pass inspection. That's why fiberglass hi top were stopped. In a rolling accident the fiberglass top came off and passengers were thrown and killed. At lease with a pop top there's a frame that gives you support on the van. In bolder co. There's the pop top for $1,200 on Craig list. Then you saw the blue van with the over size tires and camping gear on it. I just don't understand an Aerostar is a better van than a vw. But there awd system is great. Otherwise low power and breaking down all the time. I had a 2wd camper and enjoyed it. I can go through old channels and find out who owns the van. But being retired I feel funny as it's not right. I'm collecting stacks of notes on what part I need but Vegas is jeep town. There's a well known drive shaft shot that build even from scratch off road racers. Our mutual friend told me what I need and what to do to change the van to true 4x4 with lo gear and 2 hi. I need the ends changed on the shafts because the old transfer case uses slip in yolks and the new one don't. Yet the shop who builds e350 ford vans 4x4 won't work on an Aerostar. It's like there ashamed. I can't mail it to someone I don't know if it needs to be longer or shorter. I could mock up a dummy out of pvc pipe with fresh ends send it to a maker at $350.00 each but my hoa has very strick rules and the Aerostar won't fit in my garage to talk hits door track when jacked. I miss jersey you can rent garages with lifts to work on your ride. Not here. I'm recouping from my treatment today I get in on the but I got it early so I'm tired and got scramble eggs for brain power today. Later bro

if my old 89 camaro convertable passed inspection although it was a t top car aftermarket factory converted, any car will pass.if id have rolled that car it would have been flat.

That was many years go and the car was made to be a drop top from the factory. When the big 3 were makeing cargo vans they never ment to have a can opener taken to them. I worked part time at a caddy dealership. Back then they cut the roof off bolted a fiberglass bathtub to them. The seat bases that made the aftermarket seats spin were non dot compliant. Also the sofa bed benches. Every wonder why your Aerostar bench go for 50+ pounds. Gm bought many van back from consumers. At my caddy dealership we sold gmc truck line and those vans without being in an accident would twist. Many vans were converted in house by yahoo car wash boys in the body shop. Roofs leaked they were a mess. Gm did sell factory hi tops by chananouga choo choo which were prime. Anyway one day I will have my Aerostar Komi.

header2.gif

My Cart (0) Items Check Out
report errors

Hours 8-5
800-884-382
Aerostar
Van
Tops
Raised Roofs

AEROSTAR TV VAN TOPS

These Aerostar tv van tops offer a much easier move around feeling from that of a standard van. Most of there raised roof tops will allow for a vcr and a tv up to 14" to fit in the passenger and driver over-head cabinet. The rear of the top has enough room for a rear air conditioner - taking it out of the sofa passenger headroom area. Installation is straight forward enough that many of our customers choose to install this raised roof themselves. The reverse flange van tops are the easiest tops install since they do not require exterior moldings and fastens in place through an interior flange.
USA.gif

MiniVan-263.gif

82+ FORD AEROSTAR
Short

Height
Style
Flange

12"front
10"rear
B Modified
No Liner

Standard
Retail $2167.2 You Save $487.2 (29
percentage.gif
) Your Price:
$1680
Stock Qty
12"front
10"rear
B Modified
With Liner

Standard
Retail $3083.1 You Save $693.1 (29
percentage.gif
) Your Price:
$2390
Stock Qty

82+ FORD AEROSTAR
Extended

Height
Style
Flange

12"front
10"rear
B Modified
No Liner

Standard
percentage.gif
) Your Price:
$1680
Stock Qty
12"front
10"rear
B Modified
With Liner

Standard
percentage.gif
) Your Price:
$2390
Stock Qty
12"front
10"rear
B Modified
No Liner

Reverse
percentage.gif
) Your Price:
$1680
Stock Qty
12"front
10"rear
B Modified
With Liner

Reverse
percentage.gif
) Your Price:
$2390
Stock Qty

OPTIONS
TV Van Tops

Stock#
Camper Top Options
Application
Price

Wood Reinforcement Strips
wo-Liner Only
$95
Foam Insulation-Tops with Liner Only
-
$195
Gray Primer Gel Coat Exterior
-
Standard
Standard White Gel Coat Exterior
-
$495
Gray Primer Gel Coat Interior
-
Standard
White Gel Coat Liner Finish
-
$145
Inside 2-12V Wire Set-Tops with Liner Only
-
$84
Trim Kit for Standard Flange Tops
Black or White
$125
Shipping Crate
Mini Van
$350.00

FREIGHT
Van Tops

We Pass on Our 55 Percent Discount on Freight Charges

everyone knows I'm always thinking and a u tube junkie since I home bound. This guy made a pop up roof for a fiberglass truck top so he has a camper. All of you know the pug shuttle/aerobomber was on the way to be Americans anwser to a vw Westfiela . The areostar is 1000% better than a vw. So you guys with vans and want a pop top here you go. A pop top will go for 5 grand installed. Looking at this except for the canvas he might have $150.00 into this. Now if you buy a vw camper canvas that will run you around $250-450 depending on size and windows. Or use a tent or canvas repair shop make you one. I have plans for a hard side poptop that would run me around $300. Including hard sliding windows.
Give it a look give me some feed back and turn your van into a camper.

I think it would be cool if the top could be hidden under the sheet metal removed for the top. Basically it would look stock when not used.

If you have a electric cutter you can cut the roof like a Tim can and save it. I've seen many poptop conversions were they use the factory skin. Granted this guy did this on a whim. But I never thought of the folding table legs to lock and support the roof. I've come up with a drawing for a hard side pop up. It's based on an A liner popup camper werethe solid walls fold in and the roof covers the walls to create a water tight seal. I'm holding off on Craig list. I don't want to sell it. If I do I'll list it for 3 grand and take what I get offered. I got $800 of new tires that have 50 miles on them and they have a 3 yr 50,000 mile replacement no prorate.

Back