Chip Upgrade - Motorvation vs. Hypertech vs. Jet - Good, Bad, any experiance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chip Upgrade - Motorvation vs. Hypertech vs. Jet - Good, Bad, any experiance?

fiftyfordfloored

Explorer Super Upper
Reaction score
City, State
Alpha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4x4 Limited
After browsing and looking for chips, I've come up with three candidates for my '92.

- Hypertech 625711
- JET Performance 89205
- Motorvation 292021

I've heard that the Jet is useless, the Hypertech does little, and the "Motorvation" I haven't even heard of until today when I found them listed on Summit's site (Product Listing). Anyone have any experience with them? Noted power or MPG increase?

I'd like to modify the computer program to get every last ounce of power out of the OHV, but I don't feel like paying 400+ for a TwEECer setup. Yes, I actually went so far as to hassle them and send them my computer calibration code, and they say that the same unit that works for SHO or Mustang will work for an Explorer (minus the R/T feature).

Recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the 'none of the above' option?

There are tuners out there (here, RPS, TRS, pirate) that can tune your OBDI/EEC-IV Explorer.

Those mass produced chips are mostly crap...they have their place. But it is NOT in your SUV.

The Tweecer is a good unit, but given the somewhat limited capabilities that your OBD1 vehicle has compared to a OBDII vehicle, your assumtion that the $400 is a little much, you are correct.

Ryan

What kind of chips are available for a 5.0? What are the prices?

Back