Chirping noise when accelerating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chirping noise when accelerating

SteveS

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Explorer XLT. During cooler weather months a "chirping" noise appears when I press on the accelerator pedal. The noise becomes more rapid the harder I accelerate and the noise slows down and then disappears when I take my foot off the accelerator. The noise does not seem to have anything to do with the speed of the vehicle: if I acceleate to 60 mph and take my foot off the pedal, the chirping stops. The noise only develops after the vehicle sits overnight and the noise usually continues until I have driven for about 30 minutes before turning the engine off. For the rest of the day the noise does not appear. I have replaced the blower fan in the dash, the serpintine belt, the belt tensioner pulley, and the engine fan and fan clutch, but I still have the noise! A friend suggested it may be the camshaft position sensor. I have run out of possible solutions. Do any of you guys know what this noise could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited by SteveS on 11-06-2000 at 07:05 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SteveS
I have a 1994 Explorer XLT. During cooler weather months a "chirping" noise appears when I press on the accelerator pedal. The noise becomes more rapid the harder I accelerate and the noise slows down and then disappears when I take my foot off the accelerator. The noise does not seem to have anything to do with the speed of the vehicle: if I acceleate to 60 mph and take my foot off the pedal, the chirping stops. The noise only develops after the vehicle sits overnight and the noise usually continues until I have driven for about 30 minutes before turning the engine off. For the rest of the day the noise does not appear. I have replaced the blower fan in the dash, the serpintine belt, the belt tensioner pulley, and the engine fan and fan clutch, but I still have the noise! A friend suggested it may be the camshaft position sensor. I have run out of possible solutions. Do any of you guys know what this noise could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve-

We have a 94 as well. We use to have the exact same symptoms as you have described in your post. In fact, your post brought a smile to my face because I too tried replacing most of the stuff you already have in an attempt to get rid of the 'chirp'. What a frustrating journey!! Our noise did indeed end up being the camshaft position sensor. We were finally able to isolate the problem with an automotive stethiscope (sorry about the spelling). This sensor is located at the far end (rear) of the motor as you stand directly in front of the grill. You can also verify the noise by starting the vehicle on a colder morning, when the noise is prevalent, run around to the passenger side wheel-wheel and reach your left hand down and grab around the sensor. When I wrapped my hand around the sensor the noise would go away. (It is kinda hard to find initially). You may want to use a mirror and flashlight to initially find it. There is also a wiring harness connection back there that connects the the top of the sensor.

I could only find the sensor to be sold at Ford, and it's painful.........about $400 !! I did some searching and was blessed to find one at an engine salvage/used auto place and saved significant money.

I received the removal/replacement procedure from Ford and my buddy who is ASE certified, was able to do the work for me, but it wasn't that fun to do.

But, the good thing is, the noise is now gone.

Hope this helps,
Brandon.

Brandon:

They say misery loves company, but I take no comfort in the thought that you had to chase the same "shadow" I have been chasing for the past few months. However, I am extremely relieved to learn that there is a solution to the chirping problem. The noise was irritating enough, but not knowing what was causing it was what really got to me. Now I will head for the salvage yard instead of a padded room. Thanks for taking the time to respond with such a thorough explanation. May the automotive Gods always smile upon you!

I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission? But i thought I would give you my two cents (OOPs I'm a rookie let it go). If it was a Five speed those are symptoms of a possible squeaky throw out bearing. If u do have a 5-speed does the noise go away when u press on the clutch?

I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission? But i thought I would give you my two cents (OOPs I'm a rookie let it go). If it was a Five speed those are symptoms of a possible squeaky throw out bearing. If u do have a 5-speed does the noise go away when u press on the clutch?

Leggo-
Ours is an auto 4.0L v6.

I have had this problem since 50,000 miles. I've replaced all the stuff like you guys did. Each time I took it to the dealership, I got that bullcrap that says cannot duplicate problem. This sucks because my warranty is gone now and I know the problem! Damn.

Ive got the chirping too, except mine does not get louder or more frequent with acceleration. It only occurs on very cold mornings and goes away as soon as the car warms up...

Any thoughts? Im thinking water pump.

Triton46, what oil filter are you using? If it's a Pennzoil or FRAM filter your engine could be eating dirty oil when it first starts up in the morning.

Nope, its motorcraft.

What weight and type of oil are you using?

Whew! Same problem here! (I have a 94 XLT 4.0 Auto) What a relief. (Could have had a cheaper fix though!) My symptoms are the same except that it will chirp while it idles also. (It speeds up as I accelerate and doesn't go away until the truck is significantly warm) I had isolated the problem as being on the engine side of the passenger firewall, but it helps knowing exactly what it is.
If anyone comes up with a cheaper fix or removal/installation instructions, please post them!

Has done this with 10W-30 and with 5W-30.

Trit you might have a noisy lifter or two. A friend has an 89 Bronco II and it does that.

The engine in my 94 would tick a little bit on cold starts, but not since I switched to synthetic oil. Now it runs very quietly. I also used engine flush before I made the switch. I don't know if the synth has quieted it down or the engine flush cleaned it out. Whatever did it, the engine is quiet and smooth now. Maybe if the lifters are noisy, and engine flush will do the motor some good. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other...

i have chirping too. mine (i think) is because i gas it in the turns and do powerslides. maybe im not having the problem with sensors like you guys or maybe your problems could be the tires. i like the chirping though and im pretty sure its the tires because when its a little damp out or the road is gravelly i break them loose :):):)and it sounds the same. and when i turn on the gas i get chirp chirp chirp until i start exiting the turn and slowing down

My 94 does the chirping thing also on cold starts. The sensor was replaced once years ago under warrenty.
I am wondering if it hurts anything to just let it chirp. The engine seems to run fine and the chirp goes away when it warms up. By the way, I also replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley and belt. Glad I'm not the only one who got fooled.
Brad

I know its not the lifters, I have the clicking in the morning in addition to the chirping. The clicking increases with speed but the chirping remains constant. Since the weather has warmed up, the chirping is gone but the clicking is there. The clicking has gotten better since I switched to 5W30.

Oh I know what you mean now. I see, the chirp isn't the same as the lifter tick. I don't know what causes the chirp but I know the sound you are talking about.

Do I have a camshaft position sensor on my '95? I notice all of you guys have pre '95's. I have that chirp and it's driving me nuts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll tell ya if you gimme some of that shine...

Back