Jeff213

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mounty 5.0 4x4
Callsign
KM6BVN
I am planning to setup my explorer with a 2nd battery, and I also want a 2500 or 3000 watt continuous output inverter so I can run a small arc welder and compressor while on the trail. I am overwhelmed when searching for inverters so I figured I would ask here to see if any of you have inverters in this power range that you are happy with? I know that I am going to have to spend some cash on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

APC or Trip-Lite hands down.

I don't think APC make anything that big though.

3000 Watts is a lot of meat and you are going to need some serious wire!

APC or Trip-Lite hands down.

I don't think APC make anything that big though.

3000 Watts is a lot of meat and you are going to need some serious wire!

I am an electrician by trade, so I think I can handle it ;) I also think 2500 continuous output would be plenty, I just want to be able to run 1 20 amp circuit.

Same thing here. You are going to need to upgrade your alternator or risk burning the stock unit up.

Trip-Lite 3000W draws 289 Amps @ 12VDC full load.

my plan is to wire it to draw from the dual battery system in parallel so it doesn't take too much from the alternator. I won't be able to use the inverter at full capacity for long periods of time, but I will be able to get enough juice from both of the batteries hooked up in parallel + the alternator to run it at full capacity long enough to make some decent sized welds on a 90 amp inverter welder. The duty cycle on my little welder is only 20% anyway at maximum current.

I am planning to upgrade the alternator though, I am just throwing this project idea out because it is the next big upgrade I want to do now that I have done the 4406 swap.

Cool.

Just don't want to see you have an accidental "Trail Side Weenie Roast"

You'll need to isolate the alt from the batteries when loaded or it'll go to full output as soon as you load it

Back