Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again

Ok kiddies, time for my bi-annual rebuild thread:p:
This time I won't be messing with the suspension...well, maybe the coilovers.
I may need new coils so I don't have so much uptravel but I'll deal with that much later.

Since i'm barely working progress will be slow since I'll need a few parts and whatnot to get my rig functional again. Main things I need to purchase are new leaf springs. They are totally shot and to have them rebuilt I can buy a new set of Toy springs which i'm gonna try out.

In the mean time, i've been removing stuff that either is damaged and won't be used again or just removing to get it out of the way while I work on stuff.

Here's my list so far:

Front bumper tubework: This will get reworked to accommodate the winch.
Front fenders: Thrashed beyond repair
Rocksliders: Been wanting to build new ones anyways so good as time as any to cut them off.
Rocker panels: Want to get the sliders up higher so they had to go.
Bed: Also trashed beyond repair, tubework will go in it's place
Gutted supercab area: Needed to remove for roof repair but may leave it that way and spray it with undercoating.

That's what i've done so far to the rig and I got my winch mounted today as well. I bought this winch early last summer before the roll and it's a SuperWinch Rock 9.5 short drum with synthetic rope.
I was pondering how i'd fit the grill back on since it sits behind it but i'd still need to access the freespool lever. My plan is to have it on hinges so I can flip it up, i'll just need a way to lock it in place at the bottom...maybe with Dzus fastners.

So on with the pics, i'll start with some before pics of the roof caved in and then with some of the roof almost where I want it. Still needs work obviously.
Other pics show the rockers cut and some general shots of the truck in its current condition. Last set of shots is of the winch install and grill mock up.

dscn0711.jpg

dscn0712.jpg

dscn0725.jpg

dscn0726.jpg

dscn0727.jpg

dscn0723.jpg

dscn0728.jpg

dscn0729.jpg

dscn0735.jpg

dscn0736.jpg

dscn0730.jpg

dscn0733.jpg

dscn0734.jpg

dscn0737.jpg

dscn0738.jpg

dscn0739.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed some shackle hangers from Dresselhaus Fabworx...ok i made that up...got them from Rock Ranger to get a little lift at the rear end.
With my combo of Tacoma springs, oddball shackle hangers and shackles, it was a real crap shoot what height the rear suspension would end up at.
It was an inch or so low compared to the front so I just lived with it until Rock Ranger came up with a snazzy hanger design.
It would have been nice to just bolt these on but with most everything on my truck, that is not to be. Stock or even the 1/4 wall shackles that Matt offers work fine but I have 3/8 wall shackles and had interference problems so out came the grinder.
Almost hated to cut up Matt's fine work but it had to be done. In the end it turned out great now the truck sits level.
A few pics showing before and after hangar modifications.

20160917_110753.jpg

20160917_130412.jpg

20160918_153118.jpg

20160918_162433.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice...:popcorn:...:)

Looks good Dave. I am going to modify them to be how you cut them so that they will clear shackles like yours in the future.

Thanks guys...i cut it a little close to the shackle bushing but I don't see it being a problem. Just need to get out and wheel it now...c' mon October!

Took the truck out for some much needed wheeling yesterday with RockRanger and had a blast. It's just too bad I can't do it more often.

Yesterday was a reminder of what a constant maintenance issue this off road hobby is. Sometimes it's minor, other times it will be major or sometimes both.
Up until now, I've accepted it as a price you pay to have fun. I've owned this truck since it was new in 97 and it's been a great learning experience taking it from its days on ttb lift kits to what it is today.

I've taken this truck as far as I want to take it, ultimately I would rather have a buggy but financially it would take me too long to build it the way I want it. Quite frankly, I'm over putting money into this hobby in general.
Don't get me wrong, I still love getting out to wheel, camp and enjoying the comraderie of it all.

With that said, it's time to retire the Ranger. The plan is to sell off the major parts and the rest will go to the big junkyard in the sky. I'll be getting a for sale thread going after the new year.

Well that sucks...:eek:

:(

Well that just plain old sucks. The inspiration for my SAS can't retire.

If I have the space, you are welcome to ride with me.

Oh damn. I completely understand though. I don't even have Battle Born done yet and I'm not sure when it'll get done now that I have another son and life keeps getting in the way. LOL. Hopefully your truck stays in the EF family like a lot of other rigs have.

Well that just plain old sucks. The inspiration for my SAS can't retire.

If I have the space, you are welcome to ride with me.

Thanks Brian, your dog Sasha can sit on my lap to make room lol

sucks to hear, but I've been there. Hopefully you can sell it as a whole truck. I think people would pay a decent price for a smog legal magazine featured off-road truck that can hang with all the jaheeps out there.

If Brian has a full cabin, you're welcome to ride with me :cheers:

Sorry to hear this Dave, your truck has been a staple rig on the runs since I have been going and always fun to watch. Is there something major wrong with it right now, or just lots of little stuff? I would love to buy it but have to keep feeding my kids for now.

If Brian has a full cabin, you're welcome to ride with me :cheers:

Thanks Josh, I appreciate that:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear this Dave, your truck has been a staple rig on the runs since I have been going and always fun to watch. Is there something major wrong with it right now, or just lots of little stuff? I would love to buy it but have to keep feeding my kids for now.

There are things I would like to do to the truck that wouldn't make it street legal anymore. I can't afford a to get a trailer or do anymore mods so I'm gonna cut my losses. In the past couple years I've been using it less and less so keeping up the registration and insurance seems like a waste. I have other life issues taking priority so that's the way it goes.

Heard about the dismantling of your Ranger over on Brian Kennedy's thread.

That rig needs a 21 gun salute and full honor guard at it's burial.

Dirt Warrior Down! :troops:

Heard about the dismantling of your Ranger over on Brian Kennedy's thread.

That rig needs a 21 gun salute and full honor guard at it's burial.

Dirt Warrior Down! :troops:

Yeah, it's time to throw in the towel. If I can ever afford to get back into the sport, I'd build a mild wheeler/expedition style rig. Something with more creature comforts and drives nicer. At this point I'm happy to just hit the dirt and go camping.

The Ranger is somewhere between that and a more hardcore rig. I'd rather be at one end of the spectrum or the other. If money was no problem, I'd build a rock buggy to do hardcore trails. My Ranger could do a couple of trails at the Hammers but it's still basically a full bodied rig that I have to drive home.

Maybe you could get a trailer, tow the Ranger with your Silverado, and beat it until it dies...then part it out.

My friend has a trailer that he will be selling for really cheap soon.

I don't have the money to keep the ranger going let alone get a trailer. A trailer wouldn't fit on the side of my house anyways without reconstructing the gate opening.

Back