• Register Today It's free!

Chrome Delete & Black-Out

Justin_adv

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer Hybrid
I just ordered a 2020 Ford Explorer Limited Hybrid and want to make it look like the SEMA model.

Does anyone know where to get Ford Moulding/Body Pieces at a decent price? A vinyl wrap on the chrome pieces is $1,200, not including the Grille. The vinyl wrap places state they can't wrap the grille and that it would need to be plasti-dipped which will lead to chips.

My thought is to purchase an ST grille unless anyone has any other suggestions.

IMG_2859.png

IMG_2874.png

IMG_2861.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Headlights are a totally different color (black) than the XLT and Limited, which are chrome. Not a cheap swap.

Sounds like you're getting screwed on that vinyl cost. Doing smaller areas isn't super hard if you took the time to learn.

Alternatively, look for parts off of a Base model (not XLT). May be cheaper out of the Ford catalog.

Welcome to the Forum Justin.:wave:
A member in the 5th gen Forum also wrapped the 'D' pillar and that part of the rear door.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome Peter and the info Carbon87. I don't plan on doing the headlights or the roof, just the chrome delete & rims. I like the idea of using pieces from an XLT, I'll do some more research.

Any good online Ford Parts suppliers out there?

Thanks for the welcome Peter and the info Carbon87. I don't plan on doing the headlights or the roof, just the chrome delete & rims. I like the idea of using pieces from an XLT, I'll do some more research.

Any good online Ford Parts suppliers out there?

Don't forget, not an XLT, but the actual Base. The trim is actually called Base on parts.

Love this look, thanks for sharing. I have been combing the interwebs trying to track down the trim kit. Waiting to hear back from Lack industries to see if this will be commercially available.

Want to avoid plastidip and keep costs down where possible.

I Matte Blacked out my chrome rear and door trim on my 2020 XLT.
I used Dupli-Color Matte Black ceramic brake paint. I love this chit. It goes on even, sticks to everything, no shine.
I taped the rear as it was tight and I figured it was going to break. the door trim came right off.

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_182805.jpg
    IMG_20200306_182805.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_20200306_182754.jpg
    IMG_20200306_182754.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_20200306_182821.jpg
    IMG_20200306_182821.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,538
  • IMG_20200312_164313.jpg
    IMG_20200312_164313.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,509

I used Dupli-Color Matte Black ceramic brake paint. I love this chit. It goes on even, sticks to everything, no shine.
I taped the rear as it was tight and I figured it was going to break. the door trim came right off.
That Looks Sweet! Nice job.

Lacks Industries came back that they are not making a commercial package. BRT said they can wrap them, but thats $$$. May try the Plastidip before paint.

Headlights are a totally different color (black) than the XLT and Limited, which are chrome. Not a cheap swap.

So is it true that there are different headlights being used on the 2020 models, based on trim levels or options?

Please see this thread I had started in the PIU section, because I thought the same but need clarity....

Stock black rims?

Did you paint your own rims ?

That looks really good. How does it hold up? Have you used it on other vehicles before?

Here's how mine turned out, not exactly like the SEMA model but I got it close enough for my liking.
Had the chrome pieces wrapped, tinted the front windows, installed an ST Grille (made for the hybrid by ford), and got aftermarket rims. Unfortunately the wrap wouldn't stick to the grey bumper pieces or the roof rails but I feel it provides a little contrast.
A099D064-B307-44F0-A0F4-5178568034B6.jpeg

B62E99A2-2EA0-4C4D-B25E-E4B6C378BE56.jpeg

Here's how mine turned out, not exactly like the SEMA model but I got it close enough for my liking.
Had the chrome pieces wrapped, tinted the front windows, installed an ST Grille (made for the hybrid by ford), and got aftermarket rims. Unfortunately the wrap wouldn't stick to the grey bumper pieces or the roof rails but I feel it provides a little contrast.
View attachment 325230

View attachment 325229
This looks great I’m wanting to black everything out but not looking to spend a fortune did you wrap the side chrome yourself

This looks great I’m wanting to black everything out but not looking to spend a fortune did you wrap the side chrome yourself
I took it in, I figured it would be like any number of the other detail-oriented things I don't have patiece for.

I took it in, I figured it would be like any number of the other detail-oriented things I don't have patiece for.
Oh ok cool I’m thinking about trying to paint mine like one of the other users on here it looked pretty nice but I’ll have to figure out what I want to do with it and the cheapest cost without it looking cheap I’ll post pictures whenever i get something done with it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back