Chrome handle overlays v painted handles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chrome handle overlays v painted handles

Garfield

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Tx...stationed in Newport RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Well, I just got my new explorer and I'm really not feeling the whole black door handles thing. I just bought a new chrome grille and I would like to get taillight surrounds in chrome but I dont want to go overboard with the chrome. So my question is, do you think chrome door handle overlays would look okay (anyone got pics of them on theirs?) or do you think they are paintable (either the handles themselves, or the overlays)... I think it would be really hard to find handles from the Limited type explorers in Mineral Gray, and too expensive to order them from the dealership. Any input appreciated :)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1925266

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not familiar with the newer handles or how they are made, but the old door handles on rangers and BIIs could be painted. I agree with you about the black handles on yours (nice looking vehicle). I think ford should have painted them the body color.

Oh....I am also one of the few people in the world who hates chrome, so I am a little prejudiced toward it.

I have the exact same vehicle as you, '04 XLT Mineral Gray w/ black plastic handles. Now on one hand, they're great for off-roading. On the other hand, they look cheap and degrade the value of your car. I asked the dealership already about getting the painted handles and they quoted me $60 each. Those chrome covers are about $60 + shipping on eBay.com. I'm not a big fan of them though, they'll probably rust in a year or else start to flake off.

Yes, I think they'll look nice for a while but you know how the saying goes "You get what you pay for". If you want to get an idea of what they'll look like, just take a look at a Limited Explorer, they have the chrome handles on them.

TK: Maybe I'll just start saving up the $$ to buy the mineral gray handles from the dealership... $60 is less than what I thought they would be, although still not cheap... Thanks for the help :)

Brian: I understand about the whole not being a fan of chrome thing... Normally I dont go for it either, but I really wanted something to brighten up the appearance of the explorer since the color is a little drab... Normally I go for sportier colors (my last two trucks were silver and true blue) but I got such a good deal on it I didnt want to pass it up...

i dont like chrome on my truck either.... the only chrome or silver like color it has, are the door locks, the faded/chipped off black paint on my windshield trim and the chrome in the reflectors of my lights.....

My X actually has some chrome on it. The little ford emblems have some and the badges are shiny. Not a lot I can do to get rid of it all except remove the emblems. :(

i removed all the emblems off my toyota.....

Umm...I think you also removed the grill by accident. Once you got started you couldn't stop. :D :D ;)

I know of several people who have removed the emblems completely too. I may someday as well, but I would probably paint them the trim color and replace them.

Fortunately my door handles are the body color. Thats one less thing to worry about.

TKAT79 said:
I asked the dealership already about getting the painted handles and they quoted me $60 each.

Did they tell you that you could get them in mineral gray? I was looking at the ford vehicles website and the xlt sport, limited and eddie bauer all are not available in mineral gray, and they are the only ones with painted door handles. Of course, I dont know if in prior years they were available in that color...

Brian_B said:
I know of several people who have removed the emblems completely too. I may someday as well, but I would probably paint them the trim color and replace them.

Thats actually a really cool idea. If you ever do that, make sure you post pictures, I would love to see how that turns out!

I don't know that I ever will. It was just an idea that popped into my head while typing. I do like that idea though. LOL Hmm....(thinking smilie)...I wonder if its posssible?

Brian_B said:
I don't know that I ever will. It was just an idea that popped into my head while typing. I do like that idea though. LOL Hmm....(thinking smilie)...I wonder if its posssible?

I havent taken a good look at the emblems but on my F150 they didnt seem like they would be that hard to paint... The only question is the durability! Of course its really easy to find them on ebay so if you wanted to try it out on one, you wouldnt be out very much money... I think you would be the first!

TKAT79 said:
If you want to get an idea of what they'll look like, just take a look at a Limited Explorer, they have the chrome handles on them.

Limiteds have color matched handles...no chrome.

White97Jimmy said:
Limiteds have color matched handles...no chrome.

I'm sorry bout that, roof rails and grill are chrome though. I guess a lot of people have just been buying the chrome handles/covers for their limited X's. Every one I've seen on the road has them.

Garfield, Yes they told me they could match the paint of my car and they were fully aware of the color of my car at the time as I had it parked in the bay when I was talking to them about it. $60 each. This did not include the install though. I have no clue how hard that would be.

Can't imagine it is that hard. Other trucks I've seen, you just pull the door panel off and undo the bolts on the inside.

Back