Chrysler 8.4N infotainment makes MFT look like molases | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chrysler 8.4N infotainment makes MFT look like molases

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very fast. I haven't really had any problems with MFT. It's response time is pretty fast. Now, I'm just coming off owning a Hyundai Elantra circa 2001. Sooooo,,,,,,,, MFT is a marvel of technology for me. LMAO.

Uh...you're going on about a 30 second video clip where maybe 1% of the features were shown/used? Whatever.

Uh...you're going on about a 30 second video clip where maybe 1% of the features were shown/used? Whatever.

Sorry, I have to agree with ATLcanuck that video was a joke. Showed nothing.

Chrysler does need to make sure it's an awesome system because their MyGig system was junk! The UI was unattractive and the iPhone 4 did not work with it for the first eight months it was out.

I just got rid of my Dodge truck that had 50 massive cracks in the dash and cost me almost $2000 a year to fix. Lets not even get in to a debate about which auto manufacture has better features. MFT might be a little slower but its good to know that I'll still have a dash board in two years.

As was said- MFT is a little slower, but has a LOT more capability.

Plus, the Chrysler unit is still installed into a, uh, Chrysler. Nice build quality- need to bump that up a bit... This is the same 2011 300 :)

2011-chrysler-300-paint.jpg

OMG. That's not a 2011. Looks like something my kid would stick to the car. BUBBLEGUM.

Sure is a 2011- same car in the review... :)

LOL...actually, Baxterdown, it looks like Chrysler used (painted) molasses to hold their rear taillight assembly to the vehicle. Now that is some fine fit & finish and gap management. ;-)

The slow response of the displays is a disappointment to me. I keep thinking, "Why doesn't it work better than this- it's not like it is doing a bunch of other tasks."

Sometimes it recognizes the first touch, sometimes before I even touch the screen, and sometimes the second or third touch is required.

When the screen changes, they tried to do a neat animated change rather than go straight to the next screen. It would look nice if it were a smooth animation. As it is, the animation goes for a bit, then blips to the final position. Yes, it is all very quick but there is a noticeable "hiccup". As a tech guy, I just wonder what the heck is going on.

Sometimes it recognizes the first touch, sometimes before I even touch the screen, and sometimes the second or third touch is required.....

Not sure how the screen recognizes a touch before you touch it. The screen is a resistive touch screen which requires a slight front panel deformation to work unlike the capacitive touch screens on most phones, Ipads, etc that base their working on a deformation of the electrical field..

I agree it could work faster. I'm hoping that as they upgrade the software it does improve the speed.

I think you are right about it not sensing my approaching finger. I went out and played with it, carefully, and it never did that. Maybe the system was responding to my first input as my finger was approaching for the second try and the tone sounding before my finger actually touched the screen was misleading me.

And what a shame on the lack of attention to detail shown in that photo! Not only is there goop under the paint, but the contour of the tailight assembly is so poorly matched to the metalwork.

The two big things from the article- an inadequate 5-speed transmission and disconnected steering feel - are huge negatives to me. If the Explorer had lighter steering I would have passed over it. I've driven "land yachts" in the past and don't ever want to go back down that road.

Back