• Register Today It's free!

Cigarette lighter fix

David in NC

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
This is no big deal, but I fixed my cigarette lighter over the weekend. The lighter/power outlet next to my radio had fallen through the dash and was unusable. The problem was that constant use had worn a larger hole in the dash and the power outlet no longer fit.
I could probably have put it back in with some kind of epoxy or I could have bought a new radio bezel, but I made a bushing instead.
First I removed the radio bezel from the dash and then removed the power outlet from the bezel. The outlet is made up of two parts; the receptacle that goes in from the front and a barrel that threads on from the back of the bezel. This barrel secures the receptacle to the bezel and insulates the heat from everything.
I went to the hardware store and bought a pvc plumbing union, 3/4" I think. Then I cut about 1/4" off one end and sanded it down to about 3/16" or less. It looked like a cross between a wedding ring and a hose washer. I slipped the receptacle into this bushing then into the bezel for a nice fit. I ground off enough of the end of the insulating barrel for it to thread onto the receptacle and snug it up to the bezel. Voila! The power outlet is now firmly installed in the radio bezel and looks like it always did.
Like I said, this is no big deal, but it cost less than $1 and my outlet works. Sorry, no pictures.

Back