• Register Today It's free!

clanking noise when in reverse

FordXplorerGrl

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I have a quick question about this noise I am hearing whenever I put my truck into reverse. It is kind of a clanking noise coming from the rearend. I just started to notice the noise after I sort of ran into a ditch. My front driver side tire went into a ver deep ditch. It was so deep that my back passenger tire was up in the air. Well in order to get out of this predicament I put my truck into 4x4 and had some people stand on the passenger side running board and part of the bumper to level my truck out. I put it in reverse and ever since then there has been this clanking sound. I took it to the dealership for a warranty check because I thought maybe the 4x4 was locked but they said it was all fine. I was wondering if anyone might know why i am hearing this noise.
Thank you,
Kristen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try checking your u joints. Also, do you have a limited slip rear? If so, you may have damaged the clutch pack in the differential.

Yes, TPLYNCH is right, you should check your U-Joints, they made need to be lubed or replaced, same thing happened to my dads truck, the rear got as try as a bone and it sounded horrible, got them replaced and everything is fine now.

What is the best way to tell if they need to be lubed or replaced. I have a 93 4x4. I have the same clunk as you all were talking about.

Hunter11, what we did was take all the bolts out of the rear u-joint and just look at it or something and if it was dry we would put it back on and put grease in a little bitty hole with a needle like thing on a grease gun.

Back