Clarity on Diff Fluid please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clarity on Diff Fluid please

derrickbj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello,

2006 Ford Explorer EB v6. I need to change my differential and transfer case fluid and will be doing this for the first time (previously done by Ford mechanics). In checking the manual, it says I need 75w150 for the rear and 80w90 for the front. It also says I need Mercon (no "V") for the transfer case. However, when I check back maintenance invoices from the dealer, it shows they only used 75w150 for both front and rear (I don't see 80w90 listed) and it shows they used Mercon-V for the transfer case. Is this a problem? Should i stick with what the manual states or go with what the dear techs used?

Thanks in advance!
--Derrick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regular ol' Mercon is no longer manufactured and that is why Ford put Merc V in it, which is perfectly acceptable. As far as the 75-150 in the front, it is overkill but also perfectly fine. You can do what the dealership did the last time or put non OEM stock equivalent fluids back into those components. If you go stock at a minimum I would go with a 75-90 (not a 80-90) full synthetic gear oil on the front diff.

Flag Gibby, for the front do we need to take off the diff cover or is there a plug? i seen no plug, so im just checking. the rear is a 3/4" drive drain plug and a 3/8" fill right?

also i have a 4x4 '06 V6 so do i really need to do the front diff?

I have a 2010 V6 4x4 and did front and rear recently.

For the front you need to take the cover off, there isn´t a drain plug, just a fill plug. Put 75w-90 or 80w-90. I wouldn´t use 75w-140.

Rear differential: Use 75w-140.

Synthetic for both front and rear is strongly recommended. If you use mineral then service time/mileage should be sooner/lower.

Flag Gibby, for the front do we need to take off the diff cover or is there a plug? i seen no plug, so im just checking. the rear is a 3/4" drive drain plug and a 3/8" fill right?

also i have a 4x4 '06 V6 so do i really need to do the front diff?

The engine size doesn't make a difference on when to change the front diff. fluid, they put regular dino oil in it from the factory so it needs to get changed to full synthetic early on in order to give it better protection from wear and tear. The rear is a good full synthetic so it is not necessary to change it at low mileage intervals. Regarding the drain plugs etc. Explorer75 is correct.

Hello,

2006 Ford Explorer EB v6. I need to change my differential and transfer case fluid and will be doing this for the first time (previously done by Ford mechanics). In checking the manual, it says I need 75w150 for the rear and 80w90 for the front. It also says I need Mercon (no "V") for the transfer case. However, when I check back maintenance invoices from the dealer, it shows they only used 75w150 for both front and rear (I don't see 80w90 listed) and it shows they used Mercon-V for the transfer case. Is this a problem? Should i stick with what the manual states or go with what the dear techs used?

Thanks in advance!
--Derrick

My lookup shows 75/140 for the rear and 90 weight for the front and ATF in the transfer case

https://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2006+FORD TRUCKS+EXPLORER+E&zo=1667299

Thanks for all the help guys. I wound up putting 75x140 in the rear and 75w90 in the front. I found out that Ford is recommending part# XL-12 (Transfer Case Fluid) for the Transfer case rather than Mercon-V on non-AWD vehicles

Back