Class 2 hitch. Replace or modify to a class 3-4? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Class 2 hitch. Replace or modify to a class 3-4?

mikkibtune

Reaction score
City, State
saratoga springs, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Ford might have undercut the actual ability of the 3rd and 4th gen explorers because of all the rolling incidents with the 2nd gens.

The overwhelming majority of the " rolling incidents" were caused by the defective Firestone tires basically exploding. I worked at Ford during this recall, so I can speak to it with some authority.

But good luck with that Toureg:eek:

jason S armstrong

Reaction score
City, State
TERRA ALTA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford expedition xlt
Im looking to switch mine out on an 04 i dont want two receivers on mine. Any one have any links to buy one im only finding the ones that bolt to factory receiver. I dont tow a whole lot when i do its just a small trailer bout the size of a pop up. But im wanting to get a tow bar with the secondary rceiver attached so i can attach a bike rack. Cant find any 1.25" tow bars with a 2" secondary

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Im looking to switch mine out on an 04 i dont want two receivers on mine. Any one have any links to buy one im only finding the ones that bolt to factory receiver. I dont tow a whole lot when i do its just a small trailer bout the size of a pop up. But im wanting to get a tow bar with the secondary rceiver attached so i can attach a bike rack. Cant find any 1.25" tow bars with a 2" secondary
I don't think you'll find what you're looking for... https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-trailer-hitch-2010-ford-explorer-13112.aspx is this what you're looking for? its for a 2010, but they have them for older ones too.