• Register Today It's free!

Class III hitch

flash041

Reaction score
City, State
Monona WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Hi I am looking to upgrade ny 95 XLT to a 2003 or 2004 .I will need a class III hitch since my boat wheighs about 4000lbs loaded. I plan to get an 04 or 03 with the factory tow package.If the one I find has a classII hitch i planed to swap it out for a class III and up grade the trans cooler if needed.My question in I have read conflicting posts on a hitch swap.Some say its an easy 30 min bolt on swap others say that the class II hitch is welded in place.Who is right?or are some bolted and some welded?

thanks Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the swap

Hey,

I have a 2002 xls that came with a class II hitch. I bought a class III off ebay and bought the conector assy new from a dealer. The whole job was easy and a bolt on and bolt off job. Absolutely no welding. You first remove the bumper cover (easy) then remove bolts on the left and right sides and the old bumper/hitch assy slides off. You then bolt on the Class III and do the electrical swap, reinstall the bumper cover and you're done. Of course, this does not address the oil cooler and other stuff. I don't plan on doing a lot of towing, but just wanted the 2" square class III hitch.

Tom

I just got an 05 and it is welded on but the sticker says Class III/IV. I am going to ford tomarrow for parts and I will see what they have to say. Good thing I have a Seafox its under 2000#. See If I can get some answers

Hey,

I have a 2002 xls that came with a class II hitch. I bought a class III off ebay and bought the conector assy new from a dealer. The whole job was easy and a bolt on and bolt off job. Absolutely no welding. You first remove the bumper cover (easy) then remove bolts on the left and right sides and the old bumper/hitch assy slides off. You then bolt on the Class III and do the electrical swap, reinstall the bumper cover and you're done. Of course, this does not address the oil cooler and other stuff. I don't plan on doing a lot of towing, but just wanted the 2" square class III hitch.

Tom

I looks like Tom hit it right on the head. I looked at an 2004 and it is a little different than mine which means you could see it better. It does not look to hard to upgrade if needed. These sure are alot different than my 95 I just sold.

Yes!

Yep, that one on ebay you found is exactly what the one looked like that I bought. I'm amazed that Ford changed the design of the hitch in 2005. By, the way, I would think long and hard about getting the Explorer - here's why: 1) U-haul will NOT rent anything to be pulled by any Ford Explorer. This is a logal thing - you can read many threads about it. 2) The 4.0l v6 engine has a problem with a timing chain tensioner noise and inherent design flaw. Mine sounds like it pings under any kind of load around 2500 rpm. The repair is neither cheap nor simple. 3) The auto trac 4wd control system does not allow full time rear wheel drive. Very annoying

Apart from that and the lousy gas mileage (16-17 at best) it's a good vehicle. I miss my 1989 Bronco II.

Tom

I know what you mean. I am just getting a chance to look this thing over and it makes me want to smack the engineer. I can not believe where they put the fuel filter. I have only had this thing a month but I am still happy with it. I loved my 95. Sorry for taking over the thread

Me too

Yep, I changed the fuel filter once so far. Royal pain the butt. It does make you wonder doesn't it?! Another one is the emergency brakes. Why in the world they desiinged in a completely separate drum brake system is beyond me. Maybe they figure it's another independent brake system for redundancy. But adjusting it is not easy. My maxima had rear discs and the emergency brakes were integrated into them. As I recall, the emergency brakes activated a lever which manually pulled the discs onto the rear rotors instead of the hydraulics pulling them. It worked fine.

Oh well. We still enjoy the Explorers.

Tom

Back