Class III Towing Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class III Towing Package

fivebucs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 JKU Rubicon
I ordered a 2014 Ruby Red exterior, charcoal & sienna interior Explorer Sport with the 401A package, all-weather floor mats, 2nd row bucket seats, dual-panel moonroof, splash guards, roof rack crossbars, class III tow package, rear bumper protector, wheel lock kit and cargo well protector on 30 September 2013. Scheduled arrival date to my local Ford dealer is 10 December 2013. Taking a little longer than the 4-6 weeks the salesman gave us, but it could have been worse.

I went to the Ford ETIS website yesterday, entered my VIN and expanded the minor features section and saw a couple of things that made me a little nervous. It shows that the Class III Towing option is installed (which is supposed to include an engine oil cooler) but then 5 lines lower it states, "Less engine oil cooler." It also says there is no under body protection and "For Normal Temperature Zones."

I contacted the dealer about the oil cooler and he just said, "we'll look for it when your vehicle arrives" and couldn't tell me what the "For Normal Temperature Zones" meant. I didn't press the under body protection because I'm not sure if it's even an option I could have selected when I ordered the vehicle. Anyone else had an issue with having the towing package but no engine oil cooler installed and can shed some light?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To my knowledge being it is a Sport, it does not have the same oil cooler as the regular 3.5 (non eco boost) which is why it would say it was deleted.. different cooling system.

blwnsmoke...that makes sense. I'll have to do some research on my own about that...thanks for the input! Weird how the dealership couldn't tell me that though. Really makes me wonder what they actually know about their vehicles. Especially since they also tell you Ford doesn't have daytime running lamps on their vehicles. While that might be true...no dedicated daytime running lamps...there is a way to change the settings to make either the headlights or marker lights perform as DRLs.

This is just a guess but I'm betting "For normal temperature zones" means that it's part of a batch not destined for extreme climates. Here in Alaska, for example, a big selling point of vehicles is an engine block heater. Likely not installed when they're destined for a "normal temperature zone".

The Ecoboost 3.5L does not come with an oil cooler, tow package or not. Normal temperature zones means NOT Saudi Arabia type climates. Your dealer might not have known about the oil cooler as the dealer brochure and literature is kind of vague on that.

The Ecoboost 3.5L does not come with an oil cooler, tow package or not. Normal temperature zones means NOT Saudi Arabia type climates. Your dealer might not have known about the oil cooler as the dealer brochure and literature is kind of vague on that.

its a ford problem then because if you build a explorer sport on there website and option the tow package it says that it comes with a engine oil cooler. I think its ****ty that you pay $500 ish for a class III hitch and no cooler

its a ford problem then because if you build a explorer sport on there website and option the tow package it says that it comes with a engine oil cooler. I think its ****ty that you pay $500 ish for a class III hitch and no cooler

If you do some research on this forum about the oil cooler you would understand why. Putting an oil cooler on the 3.5 Ecoboost would actually increase engine coolant/oil temps due to it's oil-to-water design. Plus it would cause the engine to go into cooling fail-safe earlier. Trying to cool 250F oil with 240F water is not really effective.

Weird how the dealership couldn't tell me that though. Really makes me wonder what they actually know about their vehicles. Especially since they also tell you Ford doesn't have daytime running lamps on their vehicles. While that might be true...no dedicated daytime running lamps...there is a way to change the settings to make either the headlights or marker lights perform as DRLs.

Lol, yeah, sales people tend to not be brand specific, so they may work for Ford one month and GM the next. Most are not car people either. It would be like most of us working in a dress shop. But keep in mind as crazy as that sounds, the majority of customers don't ask the tough questions we do, or have any idea if what they say is accurate or not. They aren't car people, they are just people in need of a new car. Figure 1 in 10 people are car people, 1 in 10 sales people are too. That means you might only find one at any given dealership.

For this reason, I tend to buy my vehicles from a salesman I meet on the forums who actually is interested in the cars they sell, and knows we will sniff out BS, and demand a decent price.:salute:

Back