• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Class III trailer tow package contents

skygeezer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
Hi,
I have a 2014 Explorer with the Class III trailer tow package. On my previous SUV (2008 GMC Acadia), it came with a wire harness and with an adapter that plugged into the 7 pin connector (4 pin to 7 pin adapter). I looked in the glove box and center console and don't see anything that came along with my Tow Package. Should there be something included with the Class III tow package (any adapters) inside the vehicle?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

grrtrainman

Reaction score
City, State
Western Mass, (summer), & SW Florida, (winter).
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Limited 4WD 302A Tow
Ummmmm, I don't know if this will answer your question, but my 2013 Limited 4WD with tow has two sockets, (one on the left & one on the right). Maybe because of this we don't need an adapter?

skygeezer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
Ummmmm, I don't know if this will answer your question, but my 2013 Limited 4WD with tow has two sockets, (one on the left & one on the right). Maybe because of this we don't need an adapter?
Thanks,
I was thinking about the male plug that plugs into these sockets, in particular the 7 pin socket. This 7 pin male plug is included with GM vehicles with the factory trailer tow package.. I wasn't sure if the vehicle should have been delivered with the male plug or if Ford does not include this.

1995E

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I didn't get a male plug when I got the vehicle with the tow package. I have a 2011 XLT.

scotted73

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hi,
I have a 2014 Explorer with the Class III trailer tow package. On my previous SUV (2008 GMC Acadia), it came with a wire harness and with an adapter that plugged into the 7 pin connector (4 pin to 7 pin adapter). I looked in the glove box and center console and don't see anything that came along with my Tow Package. Should there be something included with the Class III tow package (any adapters) inside the vehicle?

Thanks
Interesting...
On my 2007 Saturn Outlook XR with factory tow, the included wiring harness was for the addition of a brake controller. One end had the proper plug to connect under the dash and the other end had exposed wiring for the brake controller.
The Explorer factory tow includes two connection points on either side of the hitch for either a 7 pin or 4 pin male connection so an adapter is unnecessary.

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
It didn't come with it because it doesn't need it. There's a 4-pronged flat connection built into the hitch plate as mentioned.

astro

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Ex. Sport
It takes 10 seconds to pull off the tow cover. If you'd done that you'd have found both 4 and 7 pin sockets....

dco43054

Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 XLT
It takes 10 seconds to pull off the tow cover. If you'd done that you'd have found both 4 and 7 pin sockets....
Nice snark - but that's not the question being asked.

On some vehicles, they come with a trailer side harness. I haven't had that included in one in some time.

The other harness that might be included is the trailer brake controller to vehicle connector (under the dash). That one is not included, either - I guess because there are so many different styles.

Lewisra

Reaction score
City, State
Howell, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer limited
Thanks,
I was thinking about the male plug that plugs into these sockets, in particular the 7 pin socket. This 7 pin male plug is included with GM vehicles with the factory trailer tow package.. I wasn't sure if the vehicle should have been delivered with the male plug or if Ford does not include this.
Ford does not include it, should be on the trailer you want to tow. My 08 Saturn Outlook came equipped as scotted73 stated, for brake controller not trailer.

Roket1

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
FYI: the connector for the brake controller is behind the dash just above the parking brake.

Unsta

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericton, NB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
+4 on previous comments... Any trailer you want to connect with a 4-pin will work on the 4-pin connector you already have. If it happens to have a 7-pin and doesn't have electric brakes the 7 pin should be live as well.

If you want to use the 7-pin with a brake controller you need to buy a brake controller and the appropriate manufacturer --> ford harness adapter.

Something like this for example:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-3035-P.html

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling Heights MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Hi, I'm new to the forum (and to forums in general). My 2018 Explorer Platinum mentions the Class III Trailer Tow Pkg on the window sticker, but I haven't yet found reference to the precise content in that package. It certainly includes a hitch receiver, and a plug for the wiring harness installed nearby. My question is: are there any other components to this PKG, like a wiring harness to attach to a trailer? Other cars I've owned with a factory trailer package also included this harness (a Mercury and two Buick Enclaves, for example). If it should have been included, I'll go back to the dealer while everything's fresh. They did forget two other items which they promptly provided when I asked.
THANKS

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
No, you need to buy the harness to plug into the back of the brake controller and then it will plug in under the dash.

Mlarv5

Reaction score
City, State
Crossville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum Ruby Red
Your tow package is the class 3 hitch the 4 or 7 pin plug and the plastic cover to hide it. The wiring for the trailer is on the the trailer side to connect to the EX. You got everything I am sure

MarioMatos

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Hi, I'm new to the forum (and to forums in general). My 2018 Explorer Platinum mentions the Class III Trailer Tow Pkg on the window sticker, but I haven't yet found reference to the precise content in that package. It certainly includes a hitch receiver, and a plug for the wiring harness installed nearby. My question is: are there any other components to this PKG, like a wiring harness to attach to a trailer? Other cars I've owned with a factory trailer package also included this harness (a Mercury and two Buick Enclaves, for example). If it should have been included, I'll go back to the dealer while everything's fresh. They did forget two other items which they promptly provided when I asked.
THANKS
Engine Have OilCooler And Used 6F55 Trans

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
THANKS
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. The Forum has a 'Search' feature at the top right that can be used to find threads on existing topics.
I believe the recent posts above have addressed your concerns. It is also recommended that a Weight Distribution Hitch be used for towing over 2000 lbs. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling Heights MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. The Forum has a 'Search' feature at the top right that can be used to find threads on existing topics.
I believe the recent posts above have addressed your concerns. It is also recommended that a Weight Distribution Hitch be used for towing over 2000 lbs. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter
Thank you Peter, for reading and understanding my question and merging my thread with the appropriate topic Others who posted about their experience with GM and Ford trailer packages and harnesses did address my concern, and I got my answer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Quick Question Regarding Class III Trailer Tow Package Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
J Surge Brake Controller Included in Class III Towing Package? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
M Class III tow package Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
K CANADA-WIDE CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT - Exhaust Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
T Dealer installed Class 1 Hitch Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 22
M Trailer Hitch - Class II Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
M Dealer invited me to the Ford Explorer Saleman Certification Class Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
F What is included in a trailer tow package III? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
T Support messages Galaxy S III Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
N Compare your 2011 to a Gen III Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Trailer Sway Control - No Hitch Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
O Trailer connection 2018 Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
B 2014 Explorer Sport Wired for Trailer Brakes? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
Q BCM Programming - Trailer Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 23
S 2012 Ford Explorer trailer wire issue Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
J Trailer Light Problem - 2013 XLT with Factory Towing Package Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
Z Trailer Hitch Advice? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
E 2017 XLT 3.5L. Travel Trailer Recommendation? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
J Running lights for trailer with 2016 Explorer Sport not working. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
D 2011 Explorer and 4000# travel trailer-4th gear? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 23
M Trailer Brake Controller Recommendation? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
S 2013 4WD Explorer - Towing Hybrid Trailer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
O New Ex Owner - Trailer Towing Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
P Trailer Hitch Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
R Trailer light circuit fried Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
E Re: Trailer Hitches for the Ford Explorer; Are they easy to install or not? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
S Protecting Trailer from Stone Chips Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
T Trailer Anti-Sway assist stays on... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 28
G 2012 Ford Explorer Trailer towing Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 30
D Please Help - No rear tail lights or boat trailer lights. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
N trailer towing mirrors. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
G Trailer hitch access dumb question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
R Rear View Camera and Trailer Hitch Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
R Trailer Sway/Traction Control Wont Stay off Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
R Trailer sway and phone icon Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M Anyone tow an Travel Trailer(RV) with a 2011 Exp? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
E wiring for trailer for base model without tow package Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
T Pulling a trailer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
L Trailer Sway Control? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
4 U-Haul trailer rentals Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 41
M How does the trailer anti-sway work? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9