Clean the evaporator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clean the evaporator?

explorer1007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer
My 07 explorer ac has been giving a bad smell lately, since our car dont have in cabin filter, I been thinking to clean the evaporator. Is it behind the box on the passenger side?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may just need to unclog the drain for it to get rid of the smelly water that might be sitting in there. Find where the drain is down low on the firewall underneath the vehicle and stick a wet/dry vac to it and be amazed at what comes out :) I also find that leaving it on recirc all the time adds to this smell. I switch to outside air before shutting off now and it seems to help air it out.

You may just need to unclog the drain for it to get rid of the smelly water that might be sitting in there. Find where the drain is down low on the firewall underneath the vehicle and stick a wet/dry vac to it and be amazed at what comes out :) I also find that leaving it on recirc all the time adds to this smell. I switch to outside air before shutting off now and it seems to help air it out.

What does the drain look like? I looked under the car and I cant figure it out :/ thx

I will have to go look and get a pic tomorrow or the next day.

Mine smelled for awhile too but I got some stuff fixed and it went away, they probably drained mine or it was one of the things messing up with my AC.

Back