Cleaning rust off rotors

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
To complement painted calipers, I would like to sand all the rust off my stock rotors. Is there a paint or protective spray I can put on the center and the edges of the rotor to keep it clean looking and prevent rust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know nascar uses a special paint to tell them hot hot their rotors are getting. When a certain color burns off you know the rotors been that hot, so you could get a high rated paint and try that. I have no clue as to where to get it tho.

I think painting the rotors is probably a bad idea. I've never heard of anything to prevent the rotors from rusting. Think about what you're asking for: the rotor is rubbed by the brake pads and that is what slows your vehicle. A spray/paint for the rotor would be rubbed off immediately by the brake pads. You don't want to be putting anything in between the pads/rotor; that's how you stop.

this is a bad idea.
Forget painting the edges or center of your rotors.

I've used POR-15 semi-gloss black on my rotors. Works fairly well on new rotors as the surface is clean and free of rust. Old rusted rotor surfaces will be much more difficult to clean.

Back