clear coat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clear coat

I'm doing some on the cheap body repair on by grandparents buick. I'm using duplicolor color matched spray and clear coat. My issue is with the clear coat. I did the passenger side first and it came out near perfect, just has a little rough feeling to it....

My issue is the drivers side. Got the paint down and it was feathered out nice and really even. The clear coat turned whitish and really dull though. My paint went from looking good to looking like s**t. I did the same thing as the passenger side... It was a new can, and it was raining outside, but has stopped since. Did the humidity totally trash this paint job? What are my choices? Rubbing compound didn't improve it much. Do I wait a week and hope the moisture will really prolong the curing(I think its unlikely)? Do I wet sand it with very fine paper and hope I can get away with only more clear coat and heavy buffing? Or do I have to sand and redo the base and clear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got it taken care of. Wetsanded it down, and put down 2 fresh coats of base followed by rustoleum auto clear coat (worlds better than the duplicolor). Crisis solved.

As you noted, cause was humidity as the clear dried. You also could have wet sanded the clear, laid one or two more over, and it would have worked (without laying down new base).

All's well that ends well. :)

As you noted, cause was humidity as the clear dried. You also could have wet sanded the clear, laid one or two more over, and it would have worked (without laying down new base).

All's well that ends well. :)

I thought about doing that, but I'm not a very experienced painter, and I was worried about my abilities to get it right, so I opted to just start that area over.

I'll try and get the pics on here. They are on my girlfriends camera. It must of came out pretty good because my mom took it out for a day before I returned it and 2 random people, one at the grocery store, one at the gas station, complimented her on the car. It did look good with the rust fixed and a total detail. I still don't know the kind of person who compliments someone on a 1996 buick century though...

I still don't know the kind of person who compliments someone on a 1996 buick century though...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Looking forward to the pics...................:popcorn:

Back