Clear protective film on rear doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear protective film on rear doors

Xquizit98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
I just got a new to me 1998 EB 4dr 2wd. 102,093 miles.
It is in excellent shape.

The only thing that bugs me is the previous owner spray-painted the clear film on the rear doors black. Can I still get this film at the dealer? I would like to remove the film he painted with a heat gun, and replace with clear film. Any suggestions would be great.

Here is a pic of the truck.
image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've never heard of a dealer kit for this purpose. why in the world would anyone do this on the rear doors? i've seen a spray-on, removable clear product advertised on TV (3M?) that lets you put a protective plastic coating on your car (usually done for the front of the hood). i guess you could put it anywhere you'd like, but if you can get the old stuff off, why put it back on? what do the rear doors need protecting from?

i've never heard of a dealer kit for this purpose. why in the world would anyone do this on the rear doors? i've seen a spray-on, removable clear product advertised on TV (3M?) that lets you put a protective plastic coating on your car (usually done for the front of the hood). i guess you could put it anywhere you'd like, but if you can get the old stuff off, why put it back on? what do the rear doors need protecting from?

I've seen pictures of other 1998 Eddie Bauer Explorers with the clear film on the Flare of the rear doors, and the film seems to be from Ford. I think mine was faded from sun? and maybe PO painted them black. If anything I would have painted them gold to match the Fender flare, or just remove them.

Here are some Pictures showing the film on the doors and a pic of mine painted black.
I will maybe paint them Gold/Tan because I'm afraid the paint under the film maight be damaged.

image.jpg

1998fordexplorereddiebauer4.jpg

2uyrkad.jpg

70898899.jpg

explorer.jpg

Nice looking x!
Put a set of monroe sensa trac coil over shocks on the back,will at least level it if not raise it a inch or so over stock.

I have those panels on my white/gold '97 EB; been there since I bought the truck w 30K miles on it in '98 - so I assume that it is OEM. He may have painted them because they were starting to look as crappy as mine do.

Nice looking x!
Put a set of monroe sensa trac coil over shocks on the back,will at least level it if not raise it a inch or so over stock.

I ordered the warrior rear shackles, and the truck has new Sensatrac shocks(not coil overs) should sit a little higher once I replace the rear shackles

I have those panels on my white/gold '97 EB; been there since I bought the truck w 30K miles on it in '98 - so I assume that it is OEM. He may have painted them because they were starting to look as crappy as mine do.

Do you think I should paint them Gold/Tan? or just remove them with a heat gun.

I just hate how it looks with the stupid black section on the doors.

Do you think I should paint them Gold/Tan? or just remove them with a heat gun.

I just hate how it looks with the stupid black section on the doors.

I don't know how easy they would be to remove - they have been there for a long time. You can buy paint to match the trim - paint codes are on door sticker - that matches pretty well. Good luck.

oh, i see what you're referring to. my 2000 Mountaineers have something similar (clear) behind the rear tires. my 1997 & 2001 Explorers don't have anything like that. it looks like crap on the Mountaineers, as it has gotten stained/discolored. i think the easiest thing to do would be to try painting them gold. the Duplicolor name for the color is Ford Harvest Gold.

It that there just to protect it from the feet of the rear passengers :scratch:

If you do remove them, and just need another clear protective layer, any decent clearbra installer should easily be able to do that.

BUMPING OLD POST.....
I have this same problem with my new to me Eddie Bauer.....anybody successfully remove this clear film/adhesive with heat gun / blow dryer without damaging paint below?....most likely rest of fender will be element faded and area were sticker was will look almost new.....but will still look better than stained out film.....

Also....I have the TAN E.B. trim....does Dupli- color or others make a real good oem looking color tone or is dealership the way to to go?

Thanks.

My 99 had this only on one side I used alcohol to remove it

Sorry for the dirty truck we just had a hurricane
Ad I had three inches of water in my basement

IMG_20180924_0859394_rewind.jpg

A simple hair dryer will work well to remove any decals or vinyl adhesive materials. It softens the adhesive enough to make it let go with minor pulling. Then you use a mild solvent to remove the glue residue. I suggest a common paint prep solvent, search for "prep sol" etc.

My "SPORT" has those too, They are cracked real bad. Maybe they where put on at the factory to protect the paint.

Kids getting in and out maybe scuffs the paint
Idk I just removed it
It was all cracked and peeling off

The front tires will throw rocks up onto the body bottom edge and rear wheel area, if the model doesn't have the wide running boards.

The front tires will throw rocks up onto the body bottom edge and rear wheel area, if the model doesn't have the wide running boards.
I took t off it was falling off
But that makes lots of sense

I've had the running boards off of my 99 since I reconstructed it, so there are a bunch or rock chips along that bottom area, and the fender flares where that film is on those referenced. My 99 flares didn't have that on them, but it came with the wide running boards(which began in 99).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THANKS for all the input / feedback gang.... it would be good then to replace it with fresh /new strip..... surely Ford doesn't offer it anymore and even if they did...$$...
This product makes clear and textured black....so their clear version would work good for new replacement -Trimbrite Body Guard...ironically I just ordered some textured black but to put along bottom ( removed my running boards)....so that will protect/look good / and cover up clip holes....also plan on trying using some on sides of back window hatch were paint is peeling....experiment there... time to order a clear roll now...

Back