Cleveland Files Lawsuit on Behalf of all Ohio Law Inforcements, Crown Vics UNSAFE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleveland Files Lawsuit on Behalf of all Ohio Law Inforcements, Crown Vics UNSAFE

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Cleveland Files Lawsuit on Behalf of all Ohio Law Enforcements, Crown Vics UNSAFE

City files lawsuit on behalf of all Ohio law enforcement units

By M.R. Kropko / Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- The city of Cleveland filed a class-action lawsuit in federal court Wednesday on behalf of law enforcement agencies across Ohio that accuses Ford Motor Co. of selling unsafe police cars.
Similar lawsuits have been filed in Texas, Arizona, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Florida concerning the potential for fuel tank fires in Crown Victoria police cars, a city official said.
Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio said the lawsuit was not a surprise to the company because the issue is not new. "This is a very serious situation for us, and we're treating it with urgency," she said.
Ford has been trying to determine how to prevent gas tank fires and explosions following rear-end collisions in its police car version of the Crown Victoria.
In June, Ford agreed to set up two study panels to look into the situation.
The automaker is considering making foam-filled bladders surrounding the gas tank to block fuel from leaking in a collision.
Cleveland's lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court, lists seven separate fuel tank fires in 2000 and 2001, with all leading to injuries or deaths. None of the examples involved an Ohio police car.
R. Eric Kennedy, the attorney for the city, said "this lawsuit is trying to prevent deaths from happening."
The lawsuit does not specify a dollar amount sought for damages but alleges that compensatory and punitive damages are appropriate, as are restitution and attorney fees.
Cleveland has 481 police cars that are Ford Crown Victorias as well as Mayor Jane Campbell's city car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if the problem has anything to do with the radio tranceiver mounting. When I was at Penn State, they got a new batch of Crown Vic's (late 80's), and the tranceivers were mounted in the trunk over the gas tank. Well, the brilliant service department that did the work actually bolted one of them through the floor of a cruiser and into the gas tank. Fortunately, someone caught it before the car made it into service. This leads me to wonder if there are usually protruding bolts from the transceiver mount that are too close to the gas tank and causing the PyroPinto syndrome in an accident.

BTW, I just noticed on 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees yesterday that their gas tanks protrude predominantly below the rear bumper and don't have skid plates? Hmmm, that's safe :rolleyes: Lift a JGC and when that Honda goes under your bumper you're both screwed!

Well the skid plate on my TJ isn't all that great. And that thing hangs down real low and is behind the rear axle.

Originally posted by ok89
Well the skid plate on my TJ isn't all that great. And that thing hangs down real low and is behind the rear axle.

There is actually a skidplate for the Jeep TJ that raises the whole tank. I will try to find out the brand if ya want or you could post on Jeeps Unlimited.

Yeah i know several people make them. Kilby, 4xDoctor, etc

Back