Clicking / buzzing noise inside passenger side of dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking / buzzing noise inside passenger side of dash

rmccullough

Reaction score
City, State
Belgrade, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ltd
I have a '96 Ford Explorer Limited, 4DR, 5.0 V8, not 4x4.

Starting yesterday, it seems when the climate controls are activated I get a repetitive buzzing & clicking noise from inside the dash. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side.

I searched around the forums a little bit but did not see any other posts describing this problem. I could be searching with the wrong keywords (click + dash).

Since the problem only occurs when I turn on the climate controls (Max/AC or Heat Automatic), I am wondering if it is part of the "blend door" problem that sounds pretty common.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183742

Since I live in Montana, not using the heat is not really an option.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is the repetitive buzzing & clicking noise an indicator of the blend door problem or something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it could easily be the blend door or the actuator. Open your glove box, squeeze in each side to release the tab stops and allow it to drop down so you can see behind it. The noise is most likely the broken blend door or the actuator. The actuator sits on top of the heater plenum behind the glove box. Move the controls and listen for the noise or put your hand on the actuator while operating the controls and feel for the clicking. Plenty of info here about fixing the door or replacing the actuator.

I pulled the actuator off of the plenum, started my car, and turned on the heater. The actuator started moving. I then added some resistance to the actuator shaft and it started slipping. This leads me to believe that the actuator is malfunctioning.

I called my local Napa parts store and they said they do not carry it. Am I best off getting one from the local salvage yard or ordering one through my local ford dealership?

Because this seems to be a common ailment, I'd suggest getting a new part vs. a junkyard one. You don't know if the one there works, and if it does, how much longer it'll last.

You may want to check some other parts places, I thought Dorman made one, but I could be mistaken.

i had the same problem check ur rear heat. when i turned mine off it went away. Problem fixed :D

Back