Clicking from R rear, where to start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking from R rear, where to start?

ThnxSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Hendersonville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT, '98 XLT
Hi All,
I'm new to these forums, but definitely not new to the world of auto forums.

I've got a '03 Explorer XLT with an issue. I'm getting a relatively loud clicking noise from the right rear. I only hear it when I'm driving at parking lot speeds, especially with the windows down. The clicking varies with speed, and seems to be 1 click per 1 axle rotation. The clicking has been going on for 20K or so, and doesn't seem to effect anything else on the truck.

Any ideas as to where I should start for diagnosing the problem? I'm thinking a rear axle or bearings, but am wondering if there's something else I should be checking. What about the rear diff? I've heard that they bearings are prone to going out on our X's, but what do those sound like when they're going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....Is there a rock in the tread?...

I wish it was that easy, but a rock in the tread is about what it sounds like. Probably medium loudness, with no vibration or anything associated with it.

It's just... bearings don't really click, neither do ujoints.... cv's do.. Maybe check those? Also check around the suspension and see that it moves smoothly with no obstruction.

Sometimes rocks also get stuck between metal and make horrible noises while the vehicle is moving/vibrating.

Hi All,
I'm new to these forums, but definitely not new to the world of auto forums.

I've got a '03 Explorer XLT with an issue. I'm getting a relatively loud clicking noise from the right rear. I only hear it when I'm driving at parking lot speeds, especially with the windows down. The clicking varies with speed, and seems to be 1 click per 1 axle rotation. The clicking has been going on for 20K or so, and doesn't seem to effect anything else on the truck.

Any ideas as to where I should start for diagnosing the problem? I'm thinking a rear axle or bearings, but am wondering if there's something else I should be checking. What about the rear diff? I've heard that they bearings are prone to going out on our X's, but what do those sound like when they're going?

I had the same problem on mine... In fact, I went for about two years trying to figure out the ticking noise was coming from... Sounded to me like it was right rear, too. My mechanic kept telling me it was probably a rock, too.

One day, my car was ticking on the way into the garage, I replaced the rear rotors and pads, and haven't heard the tick since.

I did NOT find a rock during this process. :) I assume it was because I removed the deteriorated emergency brake shoe...

I would bet it is your emergency brake. Mine does it too and it is my understanding that it is a common problem on the Explorer. The brake shoes come apart but remain inside of the drum portion of the rotor. The hardware repair kit is only $30-ish. It is on my list of spring projects for mine.

2nd the ebrake problem.

Thanks guys. That's great to hear that it doesn't sound like a axle/CV joint/bearing issue. I wasn't looking forward to tearing apart the rear end, especially when I wasn't sure exactly what the problem was.

I'll check out the emergency brake issue. I'd like to buy the rebuild kit or hardware kid that you guys are talking about. For $30 I'd rather have it ready to go in case that's the issue, as otherwise I'll need to tear it apart twice.

Is there a part number or something for the rebuild/hardware kit?

your gonna find a nice surprise when u pull off your rotor =)

Our '04 has been doing this same thing for about 4 or 5 months now. Only difference is I can hear it at any speed, not just in the parking lot... I wonder if that means it might be the CV joint instead of the parking brake? (for me)

I've got an identical problem. Right Rear of 02 Explorer. Been going on for at least 20k miles.

I'm actually replacing my rear wheel bearings and hubs this weekend. So, figure I'll replaced the brake hardware and see if that fixes the problem. Will try to remember and update this post after this weekend.

parking brake shoe for sure, mine currently does it as well.

Had the same problem here.
Took off the rear rotor, took out the pieces of the shoe, put it back together and noise is gone.
Took me almost 2 months to figure this out.
Sure wish this thread got bumped back then :)

parking brake shoe for sure, mine currently does it as well.

+1 to everyone that guessed emergency brake shoes as the correct answer. Both rear emergency brake shoes had fallen off my driver's rear wheel. Pulled the disc off and they both plopped out!

I've seen this before on a 30 year old motorcycle, but a 10 year old explorer, really..!? I never use the E-brake. So, I always figured this would be one part I never have to replace.

Do you guys recommend a new hardware kit or should the old stuff be just fine when I put new pads on?

Hardware kit is recommended. The pins holding the shoes down sometimes rust so bad they break ( and then shoes are loose again). It's nice to have someone push on the pins while reinstalling the spring for the pin.

+1 to everyone that guessed emergency brake shoes as the correct answer. Both rear emergency brake shoes had fallen off my driver's rear wheel. Pulled the disc off and they both plopped out!

I've seen this before on a 30 year old motorcycle, but a 10 year old explorer, really..!? I never use the E-brake. So, I always figured this would be one part I never have to replace.

Do you guys recommend a new hardware kit or should the old stuff be just fine when I put new pads on?

I think because people with automatics never use their e-brake is the reason they deteriorate so quickly!

Wow! I just tore apart my passenger side rear wheel to find NO brake shoe pads at all! That must have been a surprize to someone driving behind me on the freeway! :rolleyes:

Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I figured I'd update everyone with the solution. I finally got a chance to dig into the truck this weekend and check it out (the clicking continued but hadn't gotten any worse, so I was not too worried about it).

Ding ding ding for those who guessed the parking brake shoes were the issue. The right rear parking brake linings had separated from the shoes, and were just sitting in there loose. The shoes floating around was the cause of the clicking noise.

On a related note, the parking brake linings on the left side were missing altogether. I'm not sure how this isnt's a recall issue considering the parking brake is supposed to be the emergency mechanical/backup brakes on a vehicle, and the fact that it sounds like this is fairly common on the '02+ Explorers.

Anyway, I replace the shoes with a new set, and the truck is nice and quiet again now. A very big thank you for all the input from everyone. This board is a huge resource for great knowledge! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back