• Register Today It's free!

clicking from rear when turning

erockandyou

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 4x4 xls
I have a clicking noise coming fro the rear when turning and gets really loud when going up an iincline? any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Clicking" sounds during turns is a classic symptom of bad cv joints. Your independent rear suspension Explorer has CV axles in the rear, as well as the front, so check those.

The 3rd gen Explorers are also notorious for bad rear wheel bearings. Jack the rear wheels off the ground, and give them a good shake. If there is any wobble, you need wheel bearings.

ok, I will check that out . thank you. could that be the cause of the uphill noise as well?

ok, I will check that out . thank you. could that be the cause of the uphill noise as well?

Well, going uphill, I would assume you are trying to maintain speed, thereby putting the cv joints under load. So, it could be. Again, same with the wheel bearings.

ok, that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to go out in a few minutes and check the bearings. Is there a way to check the cv axles?

Back