clicking noise on 02 explorer when trying to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clicking noise on 02 explorer when trying to start

amber stoltenburg

Reaction score
City, State
des moines, ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt V6
help! A little backstory here, I replaced the fuel pump and filter in my 02' explorer and ever since then we have heard a loud clicking noise as if the starter is bad when trying to crank it over. I took the starter in yesterday and had it tested and it tested as a good starter. anyone have any ideas on what it could be and how I can fix it? I don't have money to throw away so figured I would ask here for some help first! my starter relay is in my fuse box so I don't know if that is the issue or what it could be! Any info is appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try cleaning the batter terminal connections, also inspect the wiring where it meets the battery terminal, if the wire starts corroding on the inside, it will create a lot of resistance to the power going to the starter. Also make sure your ground straps (battery to block, block to chassis) are good clean and tight.

my dad cleaned all the terminals off and we replaced the connections because the original ones were broken and pretty corroded. we haven't replaced any cables yet but none of the wires that are visible are corroded on the outside. the starter is good according to oreilley's. im a single mom and this is my only means of transportation.

Check your battery voltage at the terminals, you should have at least 12.6V. Next if your battery has the removable caps, look inside to make sure each cell is full of acid/water, next you will need a tester to test the "specific gravity" of the battery acid, this will tell you the condition of the battery (looks like a fat turkey baster, and are not expensive), this will tell you if you have a bad or week cell in the battery, or if it just needs charging on a charger.

We’ve thrown it on a battery charger as well and even tried a bran new battery and still the same issue. I’ve tried both keys and still no luck. My dad read something about a reset button under the steering column but not sure if my explorer has it or not.

Here is what I would do: Have someone else follow the noise with their ears when attempting to start, what part exactly is making the noise?

we thought it was the starter when we were trying to get it to start after replacing the fuel pump. I will listen again after work and see what i can hear or "find"

mine did this after the battery would get half discharged. Still does. Im thinking its the starter solenoid but I don't know if these have that or not. Because that is what the clicking sounds like in mine only it is real loud.

ok so the tech at oreilley's is saying check the starter solenoid but my dad didn't see one that was mounted the firewall on my explorer. does anyone know where the solenoid for the starter is located at?

The starter "solenoid" is on the starter.

Did you have the starter tested at the store?

Update: it turns out the MAF sensor was bad. But now after replacing the fuel pump and stuff I can’t get the back tank strap on and secured.

Back