Clicking noise on acceleration, not lifter | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Clicking noise on acceleration, not lifter

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
Everytime I accelerate theres a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine bay while driving, when put in neutral it doesn't make any noise 96 5.0 rwd

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Exhaust manifold leak I'd assume. Is it louder when cold?

<

<

Littleant

Reaction score
City, State
Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer 4.0
I know you said it's rwd but If 4wd check the driver side cv shaft boot and see if the boot is not torn. The CV joint will make a clicking noise when going bad hot or cold. More pronounced when turning. Try turning the steering left or right and move forward slow and see if the clicking is there. If not 4wd I would check what boominXplorer said. Manifold could be cracked large enough that it won't close up when hot.

<

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
Its def not 4 wheel drive, I'm going to be adding it tho because it is a Georgia vehicle and in amazing condition

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
allright the 5.0 trucks are RWD or AWD
To turn a RWD truck into a 4x4 you will have to replace the transmission

Look at the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. Missing any bolts? The front ones?
Look for exhaust leak around the exhaust manifold, black soot will be present.
Often the exhaust manifolds will come apart or lose a gasket
The 96 exhaust manifolds are welded together like patch work from the factory, and they have been known to develop leaks

Let us know what you find

<