Clicking noise on wheel

garyglen64

Reaction score
City, State
St. John's
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ranger Sport 4X4
Hi There...
I just got a new 2007 Ranger Sport 4X4 about a month ago. Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed a clicking or clunking sound on the steering wheel @ low speeds when I turn. My coworker got one a week before me and had it to the dealer and they replaced the steering shaft. But then the noise came back. now they tell him that it is a normal thing with the Ranger trucks. I am about to bring mine in to get it looked at and have some options added to it that they had to order in... My question to you all, is it a normal thing to have a clunking sound on the steering wheel when you turn??? Also this noise can be felt on the wheel... It seems strange to me but I am a new owner of Ford trucks...:D :D :D
Thanks for your help in advance....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had something similiar to your problem, mainly while turning right. i brought it in and they greased the steering stops. Not sure if thats your problem but just thought i'd chime in.

Thanks

Thanks...
It just seems kind of odd that it being new off the lot to have this kind of problem... Also it does not mater which way I turn. When I slow down to turn in the driveway or a parking lot I feel and hear the clunk. I don't know if it has anything to do with it being a 4X4. I have never had one before...
Thanks..:salute:

yeah, that sounds pretty right on with the problem i had as well. Brand new right off the lot and it made that noise. as with you i also heard it while turning into drive ways. tell them to check your steering stops.

Thanks for your help... Will do.... I will also tell my buddy here @ work....:salute:

There is a service bulitin to deal with this steering noise. TSB- 06-2-2. My 2006 began doing it at 400 miles and dealer replaced Lower Steering Shaft. I believe it called for about an hour or hour and a half of labor. Problem has not returned and now at 11,500 miles. Shaft part number 6L2Z*3B676*B. Good Luck.

Sound like the Outer C.V. joint

Back