Clicking Sounds after changing spark plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking Sounds after changing spark plugs

yorgeyr

Reaction score
City, State
newport news ,va
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ford explorer sport
Just changed all my spark plugs , engine started making a click sound , checked all the spark plugs again and the wiring . Also checked where the plugs go in all the wires are in the right position

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nothing fell in the plug hole right?

did you check the gap and make sure there right

I gapped them before putting them in .... Any other ideas

one of your wires is "bad" or not connected solidly to a plug... my guess

Gap them? What kind of plugs did you install? Most of the platinum ones come pregapped to the right size.

I just made sure they were still gaped from all the packaging and shipping

Gap them? What kind of plugs did you install? Most of the platinum ones come pregapped to the right size.

the plugs might be pre gapped at the factor. not after shipping and receiving and handling.

Path of least resistance:

You probably have a bad plug wire that is crossing something grounded and sparking across that gap. It can happen if a boot is old and worn or if a wire has been rubbing on something for a long time, then you move the wire doing plugs and break that outer jacket or change its relationship to the ground. You should be able to hone in on which one os making the noise though.

i also placed new wires so the wires wouldnt be bad or old.... Gonna take spark plugs out again and place them back in....

Does the clicking sound like electricity? After dark go out and start it and take a spray bottle and mist all the wires. If you have anything arcing you'll see it.

Spark knock. Or could be what i just had happen to me drivers side 3rd plug, boot popped off a bit could hear it but couldn't find it till I was in litterly the dark.

Okkkkkkkk so i just misted my spark plugs/ wires (when it was dark) no sparks but didnt notice some smoke or steam come off the 4th spark plug area in other words , drive side , back of engine . Checking all the wires / spark plugs in the morning for 10th million time

engine was also not started all day so i dont think the engine could be that hot that quick in creat steam

This morning is not going to well , under neath my 1 2 3 spark plugs (left side) my car is smoking , not the from the spark plugs thou ..... Check all the spark plugs there fine, all the wiring is right but now i got smoke coming out my engine and the same clicking sound..... any ideas would helpppp thank you guys

ook sooo the smoke was just from extra coolant sooooooo nvmmm about that oneee but clicking sound still is thereeee

Do you still have the old wires? You can try swapping them back on...

Is it just the fuel injectors clicking? Cracked/loose exhaust manifold?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Psh if the plugs and wires are good then could be the infamous cam click.

What's the infamous cam click? I think I may have the same prob after tensioner change...I caught this post after having the same problem click after changing driverside tensioner and plugs

Back