Clicking-Ticking Coming from Valve Cover Areas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking-Ticking Coming from Valve Cover Areas

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Ford Explorer 2WD 4.0L SOHC V6 148,000 Miles

At idle... and while driving... there's a clicking-ticking noise coming from the valve cover areas. It's more noticeable than it should be. I (assume) the noise has something to do with the valves. Is there something I can adjust? Does this engine have adjustable valves? Does it use pushrods? Use hydraulic lifters? What do I need to know to adjust it? Please advise. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ooh, sohc!!! sure its not the timing chains? those things can be loud sometimes, and can come from that area if its the valve cover chains (just for refrence, its got one chain to each vave cover, 1 from the crank to the jackshaft on front, and one doing the same stuff on the rear, and if youre 4wd, a balance shaft chain... dang thats alot!!!) could also be the hydraulic lash adjusters, cant adjust em like them pushrods, but the lash adjusters ca n make nosie, and if sits for a while it can drainback so it may take a bit to pressurize. hhave you done any timing work?

Click/tick or more like a clattering?

If it’s a clatter that comes and goes depending on rpm, that may be the old timing cassette monster…

Mileage is right, too. Have you ever changed your hydraulic tensioners?

Click/tick or more like a clattering?

If it’s a clatter that comes and goes depending on rpm, that may be the old timing cassette monster…

Mileage is right, too. Have you ever changed your hydraulic tensioners?
@C420sailor - It's not a clatter that comes and goes depending on RPM. I'm familiar with the clatter sound. My clatter sound occurs only on startup. It lasts only about 1 second. It doesn't occur at any speed (thankfully). No, I've never changed my hydraulic tensioners.

startup clatter usually means hydraulic tensioner. theres a spring in em to keep tension whne theres no oil pressure at startup, so as they get weak they allow chain slap which aint good, and thats what you hear. that may be the first thinfg to check. if you floor the gas and crank the motor over to shut injectors off (do first try this on the motor when its hot to ensyre it commands a WOT signal, and you dont rev out a dry/cold motor) and you crank it over till it reads oil pressure, is the noise still there?

startup clatter usually means hydraulic tensioner. theres a spring in em to keep tension whne theres no oil pressure at startup, so as they get weak they allow chain slap which aint good, and thats what you hear. that may be the first thinfg to check. if you floor the gas and crank the motor over to shut injectors off (do first try this on the motor when its hot to ensyre it commands a WOT signal, and you dont rev out a dry/cold motor) and you crank it over till it reads oil pressure, is the noise still there?
@Fix4Dirt - Apologies. I wasn't clear in my reply to @C420sailor. In this thread, I'm asking about my clicking/ticking noise, not my clatter noise.

I know what my clatter noise is (timing chain tensioner) and I know what to do about it.

However, regarding my clicking/ticking noise, it appears that it has something to do with the hydraulic lifters and their valve lashes. My understanding is that they aren't adjustable. Is this correct?

yes, they are hydraulicly driven, no adjustment like pushrods. you can replace em no biggie afaik. can you post a video so we can see?

@Fix4Dirt - Apologies. I wasn't clear in my reply to @C420sailor. In this thread, I'm asking about my clicking/ticking noise, not my clatter noise.

I know what my clatter noise is (timing chain tensioner) and I know what to do about it.

However, regarding my clicking/ticking noise, it appears that it has something to do with the hydraulic lifters and their valve lashes. My understanding is that they aren't adjustable. Is this correct?
My bet is your oil spray bars being Clogged
No oil spraying down on the cams makes for some noise
No matter what you have to remove your valve covers

2000 Ford Explorer 2WD 4.0L SOHC V6 148,000 Miles

At idle... and while driving... there's a clicking-ticking noise coming from the valve cover areas. It's more noticeable than it should be. I (assume) the noise has something to do with the valves. Is there something I can adjust? Does this engine have adjustable valves? Does it use pushrods? Use hydraulic lifters? What do I need to know to adjust it? Please advise. Thanks.
The Ex in this video is an 04, but hope what you're hearing is NOT like this one.

BTW about how long (in seconds) do you crank it at WOT ?

depends! usually i crank in few second (maybe 5?) second intervals until i see oul pressure on the gauge. to be honest, ive never timed it! so i got no clue... maybe 15 seconds? i havent paid attn, its been pretty much autopilot!

If it’s a warm start I often don’t crank it…but if it’s a cold start I’ll crank until I get oil pressure indications

If it’s a warm start I often don’t crank it…but if it’s a cold start I’ll crank until I get oil pressure indications
yeah, i was just advising to try it first on a warm motor in case for some reason it doesnt command WOT, wouldnt wanna rev out a cold motor

And take all the slack in your throttle cable out with zip ties too.

depends! usually i crank in few second (maybe 5?) second intervals until i see oul pressure on the gauge. to be honest, ive never timed it! so i got no clue... maybe 15 seconds? i havent paid attn, its been pretty much autopilot!
I guess I'm not cranking long enough. Was concerned about wearing out the starter-running down the battery. And I've only been doing it when I haven't run the Ex for more that a day or two. When do you do the WOT?

I guess I'm not cranking long enough. Was concerned about wearing out the starter-running down the battery. And I've only been doing it when I haven't run the Ex for more that a day or two. When do you do the WOT?
for me its cold starts, but dunno truly how much it matters! prior to finding the forum (20 years and 300k miles) the rig has just been started like everything else and it ran on the OE job1 timing components (yes, even the hydraulic tensioenrs!!) till 310k and 22 years... so im not 100% sure how much of a difference it makes, but the engine seems happier at startup now! and even once i did the crank thing, it has had no measurable effect, as when i took my OE tarter off at 315k (a year ago), it still cranked every time, and my battery probably hates me anyways, radio, sub, lights... but never left me stranded, i just change every 4-5 years (maybe i would every 4 if i lived somewhere cold, but LA is never cold enough... heck its barely even cool during the "winter"!)

for me its cold starts, but dunno truly how much it matters! prior to finding the forum (20 years and 300k miles) the rig has just been started like everything else and it ran on the OE job1 timing components (yes, even the hydraulic tensioenrs!!) till 310k and 22 years... so im not 100% sure how much of a difference it makes, but the engine seems happier at startup now! and even once i did the crank thing, it has had no measurable effect, as when i took my OE tarter off at 315k (a year ago), it still cranked every time, and my battery probably hates me anyways, radio, sub, lights... but never left me stranded, i just change every 4-5 years (maybe i would every 4 if i lived somewhere cold, but LA is never cold enough... heck its barely even cool during the "winter"!)
Thanks for the info, I've heard hot climates are actually worse on batteries!

Thanks for the info, I've heard hot climates are actually worse on batteries!
well dang! i just thought cold was worse, cause i thought EV range decreases in cold, but dunno!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ex in this video is an 04, but hope what you're hearing is NOT like this one.

@joney -

CLATTER
I don't have the "constant variable clattering" that's in the video. I have some "clattering," but it's only a small amount, only at startup, lasts about 1-second and immediately goes away. I.e., my clatter is not constant, nor does it vary with throttle blipping (like in the video). BTW, the audio in that video is excellent! Many thanks for posting the video!

CLICKING / TICKING
My noise is a "clicking/ticking" that sounds like a pushrod engine that needs its valves adjusted because the gap/s have become too wide.

Back