Clicking when turning the steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking when turning the steering wheel

MrPlat

Reaction score
City, State
Mills River, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
I've noticed that when I'm in a drive thru I can hear a clicking when I'm turning the steering wheel. It isn't when I'm making a turn, but rather as I turn the wheel itself. This leads me to believe it isn't a wheel bearing, but rather something in the steering rack. It is only audible when the window is down, and there are no other symptoms. I'm not too concerned about it right now, as it is infrequent and not causing any problems. I just wanted to discuss potential causes and how closely I need to monitor the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen this a few times on Explorer's including my 2016. This generally indicates a failure of the EPAS unit, the Electric Power Assist Steering unit. This is basically a steering rack with an electric motor. The noise usually happens when they skip gears when turning. You might also be able to feel the click/pop in the steering wheel itself.

Oh, lovely. That extended warranty is gonna get a workout for sure... This isn't the first major repair. I'm barely over 36,000 miles now. Yeesh.

It's a good thing you have that warranty! Ford has updated the parts for this unit several times.

You wouldn't happen to know if this is going to go from faint clicking to full failure in the matter of an afternoon? I'm not overly concerned about the unit needing to be replaced, but I'd rather not be 1,000 miles from home and suddenly I have no power steering.

You wouldn't happen to know if this is going to go from faint clicking to full failure in the matter of an afternoon? I'm not overly concerned about the unit needing to be replaced, but I'd rather not be 1,000 miles from home and suddenly I have no power steering.
The sooner you get it to the dealer, the sooner the wait for parts can begin.

Back