Climate Control Issues '98 XL

AccuKen

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XL
Folks;

I am new here...I have had my explorer (1998 XL) for less than a week now but do have a problem.

It regards the climate control. It only blows hot air and from the windshield defrost vents. The fan speed control dial works fine, however the temperature does not, and aside from being able to turn off the fan, the direction selector does not work either.

Sometimes when I first start up I hear a clicking coming from the general area of the climate control dials (sounds like it is behind the dash). I also popped the hood and can hear a hissing type sound coming from the (pardon my lingo as I am not overly mechanically inclined) silver climate control thingy.

Anyone else had or heard about this problem. I read up on the blend door fix, but before trying it I thought I'd run this by everyone here.

Many thanks for any info you could provide;

Ken

You have a vacuum leak. That's the hissing. Vacuum controls the direction selector. As for the heat, it's probably the blend door. If you put it on MAX A/C, do you get cold air? If not, then the issue may be the heater control valve as well. That is also vacuum operated. The heater hoses run into it, then out of in and in thru the firewall to the heater.

Yup, defrost is kind of like a default for the unit -- vaccum leaks can sometimes be hard to find. Sorry to hear you're having bad luck so early. Welcome to the site!

-Drew

Back