clip swap

twoll86

Reaction score
City, State
hampton va
Year, Model & Trim Level
82 explorer 89 b2
ok i have a 92 explorer that is having trans and wiring issues
i found a 99 complete with a bad engine 4 400 buck i wanted 2 swap that body on to my frame since i have a great engine 488s lockers and 9" of lift
? can it be done?
also i'm one of the odd balls i guess i like the 1st gen front end better what has 2 be done 2 put that front clip on the 2nd gen?

swap from the doors forward including the stucture?
or can i just swap rad supports and go from there
i read some where the wiper cowl was diff is that true?

btw the 99 has the 5r55e i believe and was just rebuilt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to me it wouldnt be worth it. i love the look of the first gen because it looks like a tank!
just keep your eyes open on craigslist for a first gen. they are super cheap for one thats got some issues.

im wanting to be able to run the 5r55e with ease and lik ethe interior in the 2nd gen better just need 2 know how to do the front clip swap

found out the body will swap no prob

so what do i have 2 do 2 put the front clip on? just the rad support or read and inner fender supports?

There a lot of threads already about this use the search. You have to replace the entire fire wall.

Cut everything from the A-pillar forward....That is the easiest way....

Ryan

i was thinking cut the spot welds where the inner fenders meet the cab on both trucks then put the 92 inner fenders and rad sup on the 99 cab. would this not work?

Well, then how are you going to get the hood to meet up with the windshield? and how are you going to get the 95+ dash to bolt in?

I have installed the 95+ dash into my `92.....It is WAY easier to re-weld it at the A-pillar.

Ryan

not sure about hood yet but dash will be the 2nd gen dash cause in puttn the 1st gen clip on a 2nd gen i get my 97 this week end 2 start 2 compair them and ill let u know what i come up with

OK the 99 sold but found a 5speed 97(even better) with a bad engine does this change anything

Back