• Register Today It's free!

Clipping problem

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
well today i decided to throw 2 12'' kickers and 10" kenwood subwoofer in the back of my explorer....i build a huge long box and mounted the subs in...

but im getting bad clipping..i'll give you some info on my setup

Kenwood DB+ - 1000W 250WRMS
2 KICKERS - ???W
KENWOOD AMP 1000w max...200W@4ohm, 400W@2ohm 500W@1ohm

i have all three sub wired in siries on 4 ohm....are my subs clipping becasue the amp is set at 4ohm's- 200WRMS

should i switch it to 2 ohms then i will have a higher RMS wattage on the amp for all three subs, then i will have to wire the subs in parallel and rise of blowing the kicker subs becasue their are probly 200W each

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what now? you have 1 kenwood, and 2 kickers wired to this amp. The kenwood should be a single 4 ohm voice coil right? Are the kicker's single 4 ohms as well? You series wired everything then.. interesting. I dont even know where to start with this, other than suggesting you either run the single kenwood, or just the two kickers.

Try parallel wiring and taking it easy on the volume knob, you'll be getting more wattage and more headroom, so you wont be trying to get more wattage than you can out of your "4 ohm" load, which I dont really understand how you're wiring it?

if you wired it in series, and assuming they are all single 4 ohm subs....you've shown the amp a 12 ohm load...and i can imagine why it's clipping cuz the amp won't be puttin out **** at 12 ohms.

run the two kickers and ditch the kenwood. Do not run different sized subs together, and do not run different subs together. I bet it will be louder anyway (and sound much better) with only the kickers.

wire the two kickers in parallel to get 2 ohms out of the amp (again assuming they are single 4 ohms) and you will be fine.

also you can't really "hear" clipping...you can hear distortion, which is a symptom of you clipping the amps and sending too much to the speakers...so when you say clipping, what does it sound like? You're probably hearing the speakers bottoming out because if you really did build a big box for it, it is most likely too big for the subs and you're trying to send them too much power and bottoming them out.

Thanks alot for the tips...the two kickers are like the first subs kicker ever made..i just cut the box today to fit the specs of my kenwood sub...the kickers are freeair so it doesnt really matter wut size bot their in...but i will try mess around with the subs and wiring and see wut sound better..

Thanks again

quick question....dont know how to get different ohms out of my amp?

here whats it look like on my amp, its (+ + - -)

right now its set up 4ohm so its just hooked to one postive and one ground...

Back