Clunk coming from front of 98 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk coming from front of 98 Mountaineer

myata92

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a stock 98 Mountaineer that has a clunk that starts when turning and as I accelerate it gets louder and more frequent until about 15mph and then it "stops." I replaced the front driveshaft last fall. It does not seem to affect the power or hinder the motion. Could it maybe be the axle?

i have the same thing in my 97 awd .. idk if its my driveshaft or rears

...a clunk...as I accelerate it gets louder and more frequent

You are looking for a part of the driveline if it is directly related to vehicle motion. If it were occurring at idle while stationary you'd be looking at the engine.

...until about 15mph and then it "stops." I replaced the front driveshaft last fall.

This noise is not consistent with a failed CV-joint on the front driveshaft. As that progressed on my vehicle the sound would become deafening at high speeds.

The fact that it appears to stop at higher speeds indicates something. Someone familiar with this key fact will see my statement and know what. I believe I read on here before that a U-joint failure sounds like that, but I do not know.

Back