Clunk in front end low speed turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk in front end low speed turning

kruegerk

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I've tried many times to try and figure out what is causing the loud clunk but to no avail. Every morning when the vehicle is backed out of the driveway and turned in either direction I get a loud clunk in the front end. This clunk doesn't feel like a 4 wheel drive engagement but more of a frame/suspension issue. I have no weird sounds or vibrations that would lead me to believe its CV joints. I've checked the one frame bolt on the drivers side below the front differential. I would like to try and figure out what causes this and avoid taking it in if I can avoid it.

This does sound like an issue with the CV joint. Are the boots intact?

Check all the suspension parts on the front end. Make sure there is no tilt in the wheels indicating a bad bearing. Also check that the ball joints are intact. Again, a torn boot is a good sign of a problem. Make sure that your tie rod ends are tight and those boots are good as well.

A clunking sound is generally something moving out of its normal range and then moving back. Something has to be loose or broken in there.

LMHmedchem

Back