• Register Today It's free!

clunk noise when hitting bumps?

proffessor1979

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
hey guys..wondering what this could be..sometimes, not everytime..i go over a bump or something it feels like something hits underneath my foot....

i go over a bump and after the bump...I feel a sort of thud under my left foot while driving. Im not sure if it does that in the passenger side...anyone have an idea what that is?

The truck isn't overly bouncy or anything either...maybe a ball joint or something?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's your RA (radius arm) bushings?

I don't know how they are...how would I check that? I'm a newbie at this...sorry..lol

I don't think there is any way of checking them without taking them apart.. I think these are a common problem on 1st generation Explorers.

I just got a quote yesterday (Chicago) for my 93, 2 hours labor if the rivets are still installed 1 hours if they had been replaced by bolts. so something in the range of $225

I want to get one more estimate as he quoted about $75 for the parts (for the heavy duty moog pn)

I usually do most of my own stuff but doing a search on radius arm bushings made me decide to take it in.

There are a lot of posts on this subject and a couple of how-to's as well

"D"

My guess would be the Radius Arm bushings. I replaced the RA bushings on my '94 last year and the same problem was happening to me. I would go over a speed bump or something similar and there would be a clunk. The radius arms are connected to the front end and they extend back to about the front doors where the pass through a structural member and the bushings are there. I would do a search on "Radius Arm bushings" and you will get a lot of information including the procedure for replacing them.

ok cool...thats actually what I was thinking it was...something along those lines...i will do a search on that...thanks for your help!

if you have a garage [considering it's cold up here now] it's def. a do it yourself job. the hardest part is the getting the original rivets out. i was lucky to have access to a plasma cutter so i made short work of them. you can grind them out though. once they are out it goes pretty quick.

think it took me 4 hours.

some places take short cuts on the ra bushings. they cut the old bushing flush against the radius arm [front side] and cut the head off the new bushing and just slide the piece that sits in the arm in and cap it off with the rest of the bushing. that is why i do my own work... ;)

if your clunking like crazy and don't have a garage you can do the short cut yourself for about $35 and less than an hours time. then do it the right way when he weather comes around.

I dont have a garage at all, but my gf's father and/or brother both do. The brother is a mechanic, and the father is good with cars/trucks as well. He helped me with my body work recently, and is always pulling out transmissions and what not to work on. Im thinking he has probably done it before. He has quite a bit of tools. A lot of air tools that have been mentioned in other posts..plus a come along..etc.

that should do the trick..now getting him to help is another..lol

ok i read about this moog kit, but can not seem to find any place to buy this...... The orielly auto does not have a location near me

anyone have any suggestions as to which to buy?

I bought my poly Radius Arm Bushings at advance auto parts for 30 bucks both sides:)

ok since im not that great and really dont have much tools.....I just got a quote for $185 to replace both sides.....

I think thats pretty good considering it seems it takes Do it yourselfers 4+ hours..this guy said 2.5

Thats a real good price:)

why poly though..i read that for the radius arm bushings you should stick with rubber?

Polyurethane is stiffer and will last longer; your ride will be a little rougher but handling will be better.

Rubber bushings won't last as long (at the most 70,000 miles, sometimes as little as 30,000 miles, in my experience) and don't give as tight of handling as polys. On the other hand the rubber bushings give a smoother ride.

Which type you go with depends on what you want in your ride. I use polys personally.

Just curious is that 185 installing your bushings or does that include the bushings as well?

Where are you located

Thanks
"D"

thats just 185 for the labor.....I am getting my own bushings...I am in NJ

Originally posted by proffessor1979
thats just 185 for the labor.....I am getting my own bushings...I am in NJ

Thanks, Just asking because I'm in the same boat..
Mine was cheaper on the labor but markup on the parts

140 labor
70 for parts for the heavy duty metal lined moog bushings.

I may take this to them the beginning of next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhett is correct and I would like to add the following:

Rubber vs Polyurethane.

Rubber is flexible and will act as a shock absorber and smooth out impacts. Unfortunately Rubber deteriorates due to chemicals, element exposure, and time (The just don't last that long).

Standard (Perfect Circle) is very hard and will transmit impacts to the frame. Poly is impervious to chemical or element exposure and will easily outlast rubber.

Flexible Polyurethane. Manufacturers like Energy Suspension, Daystar, etc. make High Quality bushings. These bushings are Flexible like rubber but with all the durability of being polyurethane.

Back