• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

'Clunk' Noise When Stopping

KTrabue

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Reading through all posts on this thread and haven't found the issue I've been experiencing mentioned. When coming to a complete stop I get a "clunk" sound and feel under my feet on the floor. I can reproduce it pretty easily but notice it a lot more when it's cold outside (25F or so). I'm wondering if it's something to do with the transfer case. I read somewhere that there's a known issue with the transfer case upon "wake up" before the car is started. Anyone else having this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

druck52

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Reading through all posts on this thread and haven't found the issue I've been experiencing mentioned. When coming to a complete stop I get a "clunk" sound and feel under my feet on the floor. I can reproduce it pretty easily but notice it a lot more when it's cold outside (25F or so). I'm wondering if it's something to do with the transfer case. I read somewhere that there's a known issue with the transfer case upon "wake up" before the car is started. Anyone else having this issue?
I’m having the same issue. I had the car in once and they couldn’t reproduce the noise. I’m waiting till after the holidays and I’m going to take it back in.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum KTrabue.:wave:

Peter

KTrabue

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I’m having the same issue. I had the car in once and they couldn’t reproduce the noise. I’m waiting till after the holidays and I’m going to take it back in.
I’m going to try to get mine in as well. Do you notice it every time you drive? During certain temperatures and circumstances? Let me know what comes of your service appointment.

John Fischetti

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator
I notice it as well, only once in a while. I drive in Manhattan a lot and it's a lot of stopping and going - that's when I notice it. I'm wondering if its something to do with Auto Stop/Start. Also, I have AWD -- wondering if it has something with that...

AdrenalineJunky

Reaction score
City, State
Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST.
Driving a platinum loaner now, build date October. We've so far put 600 miles on it, got it with 400. Occasionally clunk while stopping a certain way. Also seems to have the mystery thumping over certain bumps lower speeds.
Fyi, the xlt 2.3l loaner we had performed flawlessly.