Clunk sound when backing up??

97Mountuneear

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
Hello all,

My 97 Mounty makes a "clunking" noise when backing up at slow speeds.

This happens AFTER the vehicle was put in reverse and is moving ie: backing out of the driveway and seems to be when the wheels are turned in either direction.

Other than the backing up "clunk" it runs great and drives true for having 119k miles. I've been under the vehicle to check the front sway bar/bushings, everything seems to be tight. The upper/lower ball joints were replaced about a month ago.

I cannot find this culprit...does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it clunk as your backing.. more than once??? or only when u first put it in reverse???

Bad CV joint? Universal joint in the driveshaft? U-joint?

I have the clunk a few seconds after reverse is engaged. I think it's a common issue with the 5r55e. It's been doing it since I've owned the truck.

does it clunk as your backing.. more than once??? or only when u first put it in reverse???

also it is on level or a consistent plane. or is it during grade changes, like at the end of a driveway and changing angles onto the road surface?

Mikeeee

Pmracing: It does appear to be more pronounced during grade changes. It is way after it's actually shifted into reverse. I also noticed the "clunk" pulling in the driveway.

Maybe check the slip joint to see if it need grease. That was the problem when I had a clunking noise, and thought I had a bad u-joint.

My 06 XLT clunks from the left rear only when backing up and using the brakes. Why only in reverse when braking? Even does it when on jack stands. Have had it apart can't find the problem.

Check you caliper bolts! If one is missing the caliper can ride up and clunk on the rims. Not terribly uncommon on the second gens.

could be a rotor issue? wonder, not too sure.,also this is the 2nd gen forum, not 3rd gen

how old are the pads, wonder if theres uneven wear, or if its lacking some lubrication on the surfaces wherenit needs it

Maybe check the slip joint to see if it need grease. That was the problem when I had a clunking noise, and thought I had a bad u-joint.

2nd vote for what @toypaseo said - especially since it's a cheap and easy maintenance item on a 25 year old Ex.

Yes, this is a maintenance item if you are planning to be a long term owner and drive 'till it drops - every three years or so is a good schedule.

We're talking about maybe half an hour, start to finish.

Not doing so will create a condition where the splines eventually wear to the point to where you'll get a driveline "thunk" BOTH forwards and backwards. Then you're scrambling for a good/NOS driveshaft for a 25 year old vehicle....

When I first serviced my Ex's driveshaft after my Ex was only 7 years old, the driveshaft splines were BONE DRY...

The reason I serviced it was because when I had the drivers side window open I was hearing a slight "tink" when moving forward from a complete stop.

This "tink" sound when moving forward from a complete stop was was quite the popular subject back on this forum in the early part of 2000 as 2nd Gens were passed on to their 2nd owner.

Now - not so much on the subject - but toypaso obviously remembers and probably experienced it himself. He's probably in my age group ;)

OK - so slide underneath with a pair of snips and a grease gun (preferred) OR container of grease, and look for the rubber bellows on the rear drive shaft.

Cut off ONLY the rear clamp strap, and push the bellows forward, towards the front of your Ex.

With a grease gun, pump Mobil 1 synthetic grease onto the exposed splines, and slather & spread it around with a metal safe implement such as a wood or plastic chopstick (we get 'em free at take-out restaurants here in the PRK).

Don't be afraid to add too much grease because when done, as you drive your Ex and the driveshaft expands and contracts, the grease will properly spread over all of the exposed splines.

When done greasing, pull the rubber bellows back towards you, get two high strength zip ties, and fasten them so the locks are 180 degrees opposite each other so as to balance them out, and cinch them down.

I like using zip ties because it allows you to "balance" them out, they aren't "hard" on the rubber bellows material, and every few years you can cut them off, service the driveshaft, and put on a new set. Also, by using 2 zip ties, and evening out the contact points, I never had an issue with grease leaking past them.

Hope that helps -

Back