• Register Today It's free!

clunk/thump in front end

2'91fords

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer sport
over the past two days i've noticed a slight clunk/thump that sounds to be coming from the pass. side front wheel area. it seems to occur with every rotation of the wheel , but only at low speeds, especially when applying the brakes or cornering. at speeds of 10mph+ it either goes away or is unnoticeable. could it be an auto hub or bearing, or have i possibly warped a rotor? brakes look good from what i can see and feel. just looking for suggestions before i start tearing it apart. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

92 green sport said:
check the radius arm bushings

I agree, I had the same problem except on drivers side. Once you fix them, it'll be a much smoother ride.

You might try swapping sides with your front tires before you tear into it.Could just be a separated belt in your tire.

could be cv joint or radious arm bushings or ball joints, a classic exploder engineering flaw

Critter92X said:
You might try swapping sides with your front tires before you tear into it.Could just be a separated belt in your tire.
I had this problem. I fixed it by replacing the radial arm bushings with polyurethane bushings. The one on the right side is so close to the exhaust that it gets heat fatigue quicker than the left side. PU bushings aremore resistant to heat and age than the OEM rubber.

Back