clunking, binding, bucking...... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clunking, binding, bucking......

ahhhhh .......OK..........I thought about that after I posted it but I wanted to hear your reply anyways.........thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I wanted to chime in here. I have a similar problem with my 97 explorer. It's been doing the blinking TCIL lights for years now and now it's binding almost continually when turning either left or right like it's stuck in 4WD. I can back up briefly and then continue forward and if I try again, it starts over with the binding.

I've taken it to several dealerships at different geographical locations before I moved and again now that I've moved to my current home, and showed them the blinking lights so they can try and pull the codes out and some have said they dont know what the problem is and others indicated it was the GEM(General Electronics Module) mounted behind the radio. I even took it to a local shop that is highly respected in the area and they indicated it was the GEM. SO, I went out and paid the nearly $400+ bucks for it and it had absolutely NO effect on the problem. So, it being an electriacl part, once hooked up, the dealership would not take it back!!!

Now, I'm still stuck with the same problem of a very imbarressing binding while driving it anywhere and the TCIL lights still continously blink.

I've been reading and researching. I need a very quick fix but would also like to get it fixed properly as well.

Someone indicated in this thread they unplugged the TC harness...Is that correct? And if so, could you specify where and a hint would help as to what it may look like. Now that I've moved I only have my garage and no real shop to work out of and tooling is a bit limited atm.

Others have said they remove the driveshaft going to the TC. Is that a good long term solution?? And I have to ask a stupid question, I read in another post that indicated some spillage of TC fliud, that to me indicates the output shaft is pulled out of the TC to remove the U-joint. If this is so, how is the output shaft held in place w/o the TCdriveshaft in place?

Thanks for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated!!

To unplug the harness just get under the vehicle (drivers side) and look at the transfer case, you will see the plug...just unplug it. The 4 wheel won't work anymore but the light will still occasionally blink.

I am going to plug mine back in and disconnect the brown wire. behind the radio. Then the 4 wheel still won't work but the lights won't blink either because the gem will think the transfer case is working. I don't plan on keeping this very much longer.

Awesome!! Thanks Roadkill!! I'm going to go try that now!

WOOT! That stopped it for now. I'm going to replace the wheel speed sensors and see it that will be the fix for it all.

Thanks again!

WOOT! That stopped it for now. I'm going to replace the wheel speed sensors and see it that will be the fix for it all.

Thanks again!

Wheel speed sensors have absolutely nothing to do with your problem. You need to be looking at the driveshaft speed sensors that are in your transfer case. There's two sensors, one for each driveshaft.

Ah, thanks! Any idea how much they should run and are they a dealer item only still?

Thanks!

Back