• Register Today It's free!

Clunking in front end

gucc

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
I posted this a few day ago. Having problems up front when I hit some medium sized bumps. More prominent in cold weather. Replaced all ball joints and still have the noise. Kinda sounds like the axles bumping against the front differential but I'm ruling that out. And I don't think it's hub related since I've cahnged one with no impact. Now I question the torsion bars, always did. Noise seems to happen on both sides. Do the tensioners make noise over time? Do they loosen up in their front end sockets?

Thanks

2000 Mounty SOHC V6

Yes they do, but you'll find that on your model year, it's a PITA to fix the problem.

Your torsion bar adjusters are just hunks of metal that sit into sockets with pads attached to the frame. 97 and earlier had pads glued to the adjusters that wore out over time. They require adjuster replacement as a whole, as opposed to pad replacement on yours.

Another member with similar problems on his 98+ said he could not get the adjuster pads from the dealer and that the dealer said they've never seen such a problem.

A quick search will find much info on the subject.

Good luck!

I would check the tie rod ends too. They may be tight in the socket but the ball tends to wear a flat spot in the socket and it will cause what sounds and feels like a front end rattle.

Back