• Register Today It's free!

Clunking noise 1999 Ford Explorer

paul russell

Reaction score
City, State
vienna, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer xlt
Hi, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with low miles (35k). It make a clunking noise/groaning noise when driving. I think it is the ball joints. A service station looked at ball joints and said just to spray WD40 on them. Spraying silicon on them appears to lessen the noise. I'm not sure if that's the best advice. I'd like your thoughts. Thank you, Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WD40 is a terrible lubricant. It’s a solvent. If they are that dry, at the very least they need new boots and repacked with appropriate automotive grease.

I’d check the front sway bar end links and bar bushings for play.

Not a lot of background information to go on, here. Did your service station guy confirm whether the ball joints were good? Did he mention anything about the dust boots being torn? And, can somebody tell me how spraying anything on ball joints with intact dust boots would quiet them? With just 35K miles on them, it is very doubtful they are worn out...unless those miles were all off-roading; or, you've got a serious problem with pot holes in VA. Is it 4WD? If so, with those few miles over the years, it could be due to the transfer case binding from infrequent use. I'd be inclined to look at the sway bar bushings, too.

The boots would likely be dry rotted from age. Once they are dry, a ball joint wears out in very, very little time.

Understand...but, unless the OP specifically states that the boots are torn, it's only speculation. I've got a couple of 40+ yr old summer cruisin' cars with original ball joints and the boots aren't dry rotted. Point I was making is it's important to provide as many details as possible when asking for trouble-shooting advice. It's like when one of my nieces or nephews texts me and says his/her car won't start...and, can you tell me what's wrong? I then have to clarify whether they mean it doesn't crank...or, it cranks and won't fire. Then, go thru a whole litany of questions to gain some insight into the car's background to help lead me in the right direction for advice.

Even if they weren’t torn a liquid might be able to get in, as they were designed to hold a very viscous grease.

I also highly doubt the t case has any issues with infrequent mileage.

Agree it's not likely the t-case is the problem...but again, we have no idea how the truck has been used. My t-case destroyed itself without my ever engaging 4HI/4LOW. Always had matched tires, pressures, good fluid, well maintained and it's been babied...so, it's not something that can be dismissed as impossible.

Not much to go on, but could be torsion bar pad has fallen off, or even broken front sway-bar end links (though you'd think that would have been pretty obvious). At only 35k that's almost a new vehicle. I had a 4WD Chevy Blazer that made a thump-thump noise when you came to a stop. I eventually figured out the both trans mount bolts had fallen out and the trans would bounce on the x-member when stopping.

Not much to go on, but could be torsion bar pad has fallen off, or even broken front sway-bar end links (though you'd think that would have been pretty obvious). At only 35k that's almost a new vehicle. I had a 4WD Chevy Blazer that made a thump-thump noise when you came to a stop. I eventually figured out the both trans mount bolts had fallen out and the trans would bounce on the x-member when stopping.
Where can I even get the torsion bar pads

They did away with the, at some point, I thought?

I think 97s and up are non torsion pad? I'm certain a 99 doesn't have the pads.

Back