'Clunking' noise from front driver side wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'Clunking' noise from front driver side wheel

winkdj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
My 2000 Explorer driver side wheel is making an awful 'clunking' noise. I noticed that the rubber seal around the outer tie rod is split/cracked almost all the way around. Other than beginning the process of changing parts by guessing where the noise is coming from (cv joint, wheel bearing, ball joint), should I change the tie rod first? Does this rubber seal usually contain grease? Doesn't appear to be much grease in it. This part was replaced a little less than 2 yrs ago. Does a new part come already greased or should the grease be added once part is installed? Could this be the source of the noise?

50/50 the problem is actually your transfer case.

I had the same noise develop not once but twice over the life of my 98 Explorer (currently 182k miles). Both times it was traced to a failing transfer case.

The problem is exacerbated if you have mismatched tires up front - like if you recently replaced one after a flat or whatever.

Jack up the nose of your truck and also place jack stands underneath. Grab the wheel and try to rock it back and forth. If you feel any movement, see what is loose. If your outter TRE are blown you will see movement there. Inspect the ball joints at the same time. Some TRE are sealed, some have a fitting on top to grease them. If the seals are torn the might as well be replaced.

Back