• Register Today It's free!

Cluster swap

WNYBroncoBill

Reaction score
City, State
Western New York State
Year, Model & Trim Level
3X88-90 Bronco II
I have an 88 XL which does not have a tachometer. I also have a parts truck that is an 88 XLT with a tachometer (and wood grain panel). Has anyone ever installed a tach. in a non-tach. Bronco II?

Is the wiring there? Where does it get the tach. pickup?

Thanks,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

both being 88 should just switch right over.there is two wire clips on the back of each you can trace the wires to each instrument to compare and i believe there should be a wire attached or near the coil to operate the tach. i believe it is the tach test wire
but i could be wrong so double check.and post what you find!
good luck have a good one!

wouldnt a Aftermarket tach be better then the standard tach?

i couldnt say about quality nut an after market would definately be easier to install lol
i guess it depends if how you want your dash and cluster to look.id like to use the factory one i have but dont feel like messing with the wires yet.
have a good one
R

Factory Cluster Swap

I have a Ford factory wiring diagram book that I recently purchased from e-bay. I should be able to see if there are differences between the XL and XLT dashes and wiring.

My plan is to use the XLT cluster in the XL if everything will "plug and play". Adding a few extra wires wouldn't be a problem if I know where they need to be connected to.

Just wondered if anyone had ever done this before.

Thanks,

Bill

Back