Clutch/brake pedals interchangable between First and Second Gens? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch/brake pedals interchangable between First and Second Gens?

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I was wondering if anyone knew if they had changed the clutch/brake pedals from the first and second gens? I know someone considering a swap, and the only manual trans Explorer in the scrapyard is a first gen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. Anyone have a guess?

I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would say they are interchangeable. If they're not, it would be a clearance issue that you can probably work around with shims and a bracket, if need be.

I have aftermarket pedal pads in my truck but I'm still using stocker pedal arms. I use an aftermarket CLUTCH pedal as my e-brake pedal. It fits great, doesn't ever contact the kickpanel.

I assumed that it would be at the least be similar. Where did yo u get an aftermarket clutch pedal? Does it use the factory e bracket bracket, or does it come with all the bracketry needed to bolt on?

Bump.

Mbrooks420 said:
I assumed that it would be at the least be similar. Where did yo u get an aftermarket clutch pedal? Does it use the factory e bracket bracket, or does it come with all the bracketry needed to bolt on?

I'll have to post a pic of my pedals when I have time. It's nothing big, just a $15 AutoZone pedal kit for a manual transmission vehicle. I used the clutch pedal as the e-brake pedal. You see, most pedal kits don't come with e-brake pedals...and I wanted all 3 pedals (gas, brake, and e-brake) to match...

It uses the factory e-brake pedal arm bracket. I used license plate bolts and locknuts to bolt it onto the OEM pedal arm. It has worked great for 3 years now.

I had considered something like this as well. I noticed that the gas pedal arm is solid plastic. Seems cheap to me, not nearly as solid as the first gen metal arms.

If you need a pic of a 2nd gen one I could probably dig up a pic of the one I got from the junkyard tomorrow. It's the brake and clutch petal assembly.

Sure that would be great.

Here's the ones I pulled from a 98 ranger. I'm assuming they are the same as a 2nd gen X.

Attachments

• IM000665.JPG
    IM000665.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 370

The pedals I have access to are first gens. But by looking at that, the clutch is just an add on to the normal brake. Thanks for the pic :)

Back