Clutch disconnect problems HELP!

shaggymane

Reaction score
City, State
topeka, kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 navajo
91 Mazda Navajo 5speed

Slave cly was leaking & throwout bearing came apart. Bought a new Perfection slave cylinder. Transmission is all back in and the old hydraulic line won't connect to the new slave cylinder.
Part numbers right for both nav's and Expy's on the slave cyl.

So i think lets check out new a master cylinder. Except they don't come with a slave to master line.

Anyone know anything about this connection problem?

I called the auto parts store to see what they had to say. Not much besides he'd heard some Mazda B-2300 also had this problem.

What's the solution?

what I'm seeing is this........what seems to be happening is the new clip is taking paint off the old plug in part.......like it's hanging up there and digging in

You didn't check the connection before installing the transmission?

Did you use the correct clutch line disconnect tool to remove it previously, or you mauled up the white plastic ring with a screwdriver to disconnect it?

If the ring is messed up, the line fitting will no longer snap in properly to the slave cylinder fitting. If the ring is fine but the fitting just won't go in, check that there isn't a plastic seal on the inside of the slave clyinder fitting.

There's also a chance the slave is for a newer model, or that the line for the '91 has a different fitting on it. Most slave cyls from 93-97 will work on a 91-92, but the master cyl and hydraulic line are slightly different. The fittings should match up, though.

Your best solution at this point, short of having to drop the tranny, might be spending for a Perfection brand hydraulic line. Check that the fitting on the new line plugs into the slave BEFORE removing the old line from the master. If it fits the slave, remove the old line from the master and attach the new. It'll be a pain and you might even have to remove the master to do it, along with bench bleeding the air out of it, but it'll be a lot less work than a tranny drop all over again, and you get a new line, and can keep the old one as a spare, or to use on your next slave cylinder.

You didn't check the connection before installing the transmission?
Nope. My bad, obviously. I got so caught up in Perfections video on Utube about how easy and better their new connection was.

Did you use the correct clutch line disconnect tool to remove it previously, or you mauled up the white plastic ring with a screwdriver to disconnect it?

If the ring is messed up, the line fitting will no longer snap in properly to the slave cylinder fitting. If the ring is fine but the fitting just won't go in, check that there isn't a plastic seal on the inside of the slave clyinder fitting.
Used the proper tool. Didn't have to resort to using the screwdriver method. Didn't think it was going to come out but gave it one last hard tug and it popped lose.
The aluminum insert part is in good shape (except where the new clip is staring to chew it up) New O-ring and white plastic sleeve came with the slave.

There's also a chance the slave is for a newer model, or that the line for the '91 has a different fitting on it. Most slave cyls from 93-97 will work on a 91-92, but the master cyl and hydraulic line are slightly different. The fittings should match up, though.

I was starting to wonder about that. The diagrams I've seen for the troublesome masters show both the slave and reservoir lines at the bottom of the master. My reservoir line is at the *top* by the fire wall. Plus when i tried to do that gravity bleed of the master & slave line nothing came out. Found out there's a plunger in it that seals it off when disconnected. So the master and line are still air free.

"93-97 will work on a 91-92" the volume pumped by the master has to match the slave......but will the master from 93-97 mount on the firewall of a 91-92? Rereading your above quote the answer would be no?

Your best solution at this point, short of having to drop the tranny, might be spending for a Perfection brand hydraulic line. Check that the fitting on the new line plugs into the slave BEFORE removing the old line from the master. If it fits the slave, remove the old line from the master and attach the new. It'll be a pain and you might even have to remove the master to do it, along with bench bleeding the air out of it, but it'll be a lot less work than a tranny drop all over again, and you get a new line, and can keep the old one as a spare, or to use on your next slave cylinder.

Thanks for the reply

love these orphan problems

One last question if you'd care to entertain it.
Number off the old slave isDB07RR00ZA.

Number of the hose is EBGL02051 XO53O

number off the master is D22994.

Would these be a production number or a part number?

For anyone else having this problem in the future.

I called Perfections 800#. The guy said there are two styles of these disconnects of which they were unaware when they did their designing. He also said they'd be willing to send me another clip or I could grind off .020 (twenty thousandths) from this one.

seems also like if the clip had a bevel on the insert side that would really help, since it's the other side that holds the plug-in secure.

So dremel it is.

Back