• Register Today It's free!

Clutch hose...

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
Anyone know if the clutch hose from a '93-'97 Explorer would fit in the master cylinder of a '92? I apparently ordered the wrong slave cylinder and I'm REALLY trying to avoid pulling the transmission again.

Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1993 Explorer has the same master and slave as a 1994 Ranger. I believe the '93 Ex hose would fit my '92 Ex master, so in the morning I'm going to pull the clutch hose from my '94 Ranger and see if it'll work to mate my '92 master to my '93 slave.

If this works you can bet I'll have this bad boy running tomorrow.

It fits, but the hose positioning on the newer masters is slightly different since it was "improved" to bleed air with use rather than trap it, which was a problem with the earlier design in Explorers and Rangers. I bunged a new Ranger master on there with the stock hose, but it's never, never worked as well as the original. The dealer sold me the Ranger part since it fits...but it apparently does NOT work as well as the specific Explorer part...or maybe it only does with the matching new hydraulic line.

If you're putting a newer hose into an earlier slave, it probably won't have the same fit issues as putting a new master on with an old hose. It may have some of it's own, though.

Either way it works, just not as ideal...at least new master/old hose. Maybe an old slave/new hose is an improvement, or makes no difference.

The slaves and clutches in general have so many issues with these, personally I think it's best to get the right parts and only the right parts, in the interest of only replacing the parts once...especially those which require transmission removal. Of course, that's made more difficult by the fact the dealer will sell you whatever part they have that works...even if it's not the exact replacement.

Yeah. Everything except the transmission and clutch hose are brand new. I've read that the fittings on the master end are all identical between the Rangers, Explorers, and even F-150s. It's the earlier Ex master with a later Ex slave.

Believe me- if I'd have know I had the wrong one before installing the transmission I'd have replaced it, but at this point I see what could be an option that provides an OEM fit without dropping the transmission, so I'm going to try it out.

Okay- the newer hose fits the older master and the newer slave. I was positioning the master back into place after a bench bleed when some spilled brake fluid splashed into my mouth, so I took it as an excuse to get some sweet tea. :D

This will be something like my tenth time installing the master cylinder into this truck. Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. I'll have the master in and bleed the system within probably an hour, then I'll be able to cut the hole in the carpet, lay it back down, install the shifter/etc, then hook up the exhaust and see how it goes!

I'm waaaay past ready.

It's A LOT of work man. Make sure your master and slave cylinders are specific to your year.

I got all my 5 speed stuff swapped in today and it works great. It was all pretty simple. I got it all done in a day.

For anybody having trouble with bleeding the system. Bench bleed, bench bleed, bench bleed. Read it and remember it. I bench bleed the master and got it where I could push the rod in with my hand. Stuck it all on there and hooked the line to the trans and automatically had a pedal. Didnt even have to touch the bleeder screw.

I ran into trouble literally every step of the way. It took me five Saturdays (single custodial father so free time is rare) of wrenching to finish, but I'm satisfied. I think I'm going to bleed the slave a bit more to try for a little better pressure. I drive a Kenworth for ten hours a day so that little pedal pressure is hard to feel!!

I say bleed that thing until there's not even the tiniest bubble, then maybe 10-20 more times and you're good.

Filling the master reservoir just above the fill line, so the rubber spacer/plunger puts the fluid right at the tip top of the cap will give you the best pedal possible.

I didn't notice any bubbles at the end of the bleeding, but after a little operation maybe any remaining air in the slave worked its way up.

Back