• Register Today It's free!

clutch job

sudiew

Reaction score
City, State
greensboro nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport 2dr
my son and i are going to install a new clutch in his 93 sport this weekend.
any suggestions or helpful hints for the job?
for instance: disconnect the transfer case or take it all out in one piece?
thanks for your help,
sudiew

Here's a tip--after ya git thet sucker back in, make sure ya fill er up wit ole, through tha shifter hole, before you put the shifter back on.

Sorry, don't really have any tips on taking it out or putting it back in, any way you do it, it is a pain in the arse. Depending on what kind of equipment you have will decide on whether you take the t-case and tranny out together or separate them.

Make sure you get all of your electrical connections disconnected before you pull it down, and also the quick disconnect on the slave cylinder can kind of be a pain, you just need to push that little white ring all the way forward on the connector and pull straight out, it helps to have the Ford tool, but I have done it several times with just a flat head screwdriver.

If you pull the whole thing out together you don't really have to drain the oil, unless of course it is old and needs changing. If you do separate them you still don't HAVE to drain them but it really helps with weight and keeps you from spilling any. Also, I believe you have to put ATF in your tranny and I know you have to put ATF in your t-case.

Well, I hope I helped a litttle and didn't just give you a bunch of useless words

i just did my on my 92 xlt i think the easiest way to do it was to pull the transfer case and transmission together. also i don't know how your exhaust is, as far as a Y connecting under the tranny but if it does definatly disconnect it from the motor it makes it alot easier as far as getting it out and back in. also if you don't have a transmission jack what i did was got two jack stands and placed them one on each side of the floor board where your feet go then put a big pipe across them, then thru the hole that the stick shift goes i used a racheting tiedown strap and wrapped it under the tranny then over the pipe and used this to hold the tranny up while you take the bolts off. also i used a small floor jack to hold up the transfercase. that way its held up in the front with the strap and the rear with the jack also when you put it back in the strap helps alot as far as lifting the front up and the jack to lift the rear up. don't know if this helps but if you have any questions just ask.

Chad and Marty, thanks very much for the tips.
we started this weekend and should be finished shortly.
getting it out was one thing, i don't know about getting it back up there!!
well, we will use your suggestions and just do the best we can.
thanks again,
mike
prov.3:5-6

Back