Clutch Master cylinder or Clutch slave cylinder????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Master cylinder or Clutch slave cylinder?????

MARTY196

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque,New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Okay yesterday while driving on paved road somehow the cable going from the clutch master cylinder and pluging into the tranny slave cylinder came disconnected. so I had to get towed home I thought at first something majure (sp?) happened I could not push the clutch peddle down at all it was really hard. got under there today and found it was disconnected well so I connected it back up but now I can't get it to build pressure back up. I bleed the system but nothing was comming out of the bleeder and I kept doing this for at leat 20 to 30 min and it would only like spit a little brake fluid out so I was wondering is there a way to find out which one is bad/ the master cylinder or the slave cylinder? oyah if i leave the bleeder closed and keep pumping the peddle i would have to fill the reservior up at least one and a half times but still no pressure and its not leaking out anywhere i can see, like the slave cylinder or hoses even checked in the cab by the peddle. any ideas???? sorry this is so long but i'm stumped

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is recommended to replace them both at the same time. from your description I would try the master first. The slave requires the transmission to be dropped. If your gonna drop the tranny you mine as well replace the clutch pack too.....

This is why I converted to an automatic, I had my tranny down 4 times last year for slave cylinder problems...........

Fill the resivior up and let it sit for a few hours then try re-bleeding it . Also , try a vacuum bleeder to suck the air and brake fluid down to the slave cylinder . If it still won't pump you may have damaged you master cylinder .
I don;t know how you knocked the line off , they are quick disconnects and pretty hard to get off . You may want to verify your drivers side engine mount or tranny mount is not broken .

well it will sit overnight then in the morning i'll try it again and see what happens i'll also try and do the vacume bleed to. never thought of that thanks
as far as changing over to automatic, my wife would love it, but i would rather have standard for wheeling

ive got a great story for you guys....i replaced both of those items on my 94 and i got it all blead enough to drive it around...but it was still grinding a little and the clutch almost engaged instantly so i knew there was more air in it. so i parked it and let it cool off and then proceeded to bleed it some more....the method i used and got the most effect from was using a broom stick and pressing down the pedal and proping it down and then used a vacume pump to pull the air out....well when i started the second time i got a little air and then nothing but a fine "mist" of bubbles but very few so i figured it was done....well i let off the pedal and then pressed it down and there was nothing....i mean nothing...not even a little....man am i pissed...this is the hardest thing i have ever taken on when fixing a car. Needless to say i am going to haul it over to a shop to have it blead unless you guys have any suggestions.

P.S. im glad i dont work on brakes!!!

Back