clutch master cylinder replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch master cylinder replacement

sudiew

Reaction score
City, State
greensboro nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport 2dr
it looks like we've got to replace the clutch master cylinder on my sons 93' explorer sport.
it appears to be bleeding past the seals in the cylinder and not holding the pressure.
has anyone done this before?
and can you offer any helping hints?
thanks,
sudiew
prov. 3:5-6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as my 97. It's not to bad but i don't like to do it. It's alot easier if you take the driver side fenderwell off. Just grap ahold of it and twist it to take it out. Well, first you should take the push rod off of the clutch petal, i just took a screw driver and pried it off, that could break it though so becareful and take your time and look it over first. Can't remember which way but you can tell. Once you get a new one you're going to have to have to bench bleed the thing to get it work. Then of course your going to have to bleed the system. Oh yeah, when you take off your hydralic line there is a little oring that is up in the master cylinder, your new one should come with one, replace it, better to do it when you have it off then to have to do it again! Hope i helped you!

Happy trailes!

Thanks for your suggestions on the clutch master cylinder replacement.
I hope to get to it this coming weekend.
Thanks again!
Sudiew
Prov. 3:5-6

That doesn't sound exactly the same for a '93.

I did mine and theres no use in taking off the fenderwell-
but a few short and long 3/8" rachet extensions will come in handy!

You just have to pop off the connection at the clutch pedal like he said tho, then disconnect at the tranny (with a screwdriver, or the special ford tool if you have it), drain the fluid, then pop in the new one and bleed.

An interesting note here is the master cyl design was updated or something, so if you get a new one from ford, it might look a bit different than the original. The newer design is suppossed to make it easier for air to escape and not become trapped in the cyl. You almost HAD to bench bleed the old style before installing to get it in with no air bubbles.

I would still bench bleed the new one if you can tho..just if you don't you'll spend more time bleeding it on the truck. You can also buy a mighty-vac vacuum pump at autozone for about $30 to use for the bleeding procedure instead of traditional bleeding.

Also if you get this newer design, the original brackets from the tranny up to the firewall wont work as well to hold the fluid line- i just bent them as much as I could and zip-tied the rest.

Thanks for your response and tips on the clutch master cylinder problem ANIME4x4!
We will probably tackle the job this weekend and I'll update you on the progress.
Thanks again!
Sudiew
Prov. 3:5-6

Back